Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How to deal?

CS 63
CS 63 Member Posts: 32
10 Comments First Anniversary
 Hi there, I have been reading posts here for awhile now but have not felt that I need to post my own until tonight. My LOWD, who is just 56 has a combination of FTD and EOAD, late stage 5 early stage 6. His biggest stressor at the moment is not having his drivers license, he hasn''t driven for the past 2 1/2 years. He knows that he can''t drive because he''s not safe due to what''s going on in his brain but driving was always his Achilles heel. No Lisence means life isn''t worth living, he''s too stupid and less of a person. Anyway, we''ve been working through this stage, with the help of an antidepressant and I thought things were getting a bit better, until today. We have lived for 13 years on a quiet dirt road with our nearest neighbor a half kilometer away. This past winter the lot across the road sold and they started clearing the property. We were relieved when we met them that they were planning on building a weekend/summer cottage type property. They have been cutting trees and clearing the land every weekend since January, however this weekend they brought their 4 wheelers and their young children have been up and down the road for the past 2 days. My LOWD and I were out most of the morning working on our gardens and I thought we were having a good day. However things came to a head after supper when he lost it. The young kids ( aged 7 and 11) up and down the road all day when he isn''t allowed to do the same is more than he can take. In our area they, by law, aren''t allowed on the road, but I''m not about to make bad neighbours. It''s good that they will only be here on the weekends but how can I deal with his grief and anger every weekend until winter comes again? I usually share these things with my 2 daughters,who are close, but I don''t want to continue to burden them.

Comments

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I'm sorry.  This awful for both of you.

He is a man.  Since puberty, if not before, he has been driven by the need to earn a living, drive a car, and love a woman.  He has lost at least two of those and the loss is terrible for him.  Watching it happen is terrible for you.

I don't know what to do.  Maybe a hug and communicating that you are sorry for his losses will make it hurt a little less.  

• CS 63
    CS 63 Member Posts: 32
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    Thanks for your response!  He woke up grumpy and stayed that way until mid morning, we spotted a rabbit on our morning walk and I could visably see the change in his demeanor.  It's amazing the things that will set somebody off or bring calm.  We had a great rest of day, went for a few bicycle rides, enjoyed the beautiful weather on the patio, he even stayed up and watched TV with me.  I think the not knowing what things will look like from day to day, or minute to minute is one of the most frustrating parts of this journey.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more