Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Random Act of Kindness(1)

Dps8138
Dps8138 Member Posts: 3
Second Anniversary First Comment
Not sure if this appropriate for this forum but I'll take a chance. Yesterday I took my DW to lunch at one of favorite local restaurants before the summer tourist arrive here in Maine. As we sat on the patio and enjoyed our lunch I noticed only one other table with 2 young ladies enjoying the warm sunshine. After they left the waiter came to our table and told us the young ladies paid for our lunch. I suspect they watched as my DW struggled a bit and as I helped her move the food to her plate. Whatever the reason for their kindness it is nice to know strangers recognize the struggle we all face. We had a wonderful day and I cherish everyday we can enjoy our limited time.

Comments

• zauberflote
    zauberflote Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    Dps, that was indeed observant and kind of them!
  • caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    That is awesome!  I was in Trader Joe's one day with my husband.  We went to the register but he kept leaving so I would have to get him.  I told the cashier he had ALZ.  She said her mom had it as well and was sorry.  We were leaving the store when she ran up to me with a bouquet of flowers.  I was so touched.  There are kind people in this world!
  • French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Here, we use carpooling a lot, via a plateform.

Yesterday, I had my partner going to the seaside to see his father. The drive is 50 minutes. I searched a driver on the plateform and contacted one, explaining the situation. My partner is 51 years old, so it isn't very usual. He is very easy, speak well but can forget his belongings.

The driver accepted to take him in charge. He was very kind when we met him at the departure point. When he arrived, he sent me a message to confirm that my partner's father was there at the arrival point, while the latter has forgotten to do it.

I did this several times the last two years. Some people accept but do it as little as possible, others are very attentive because they know how difficult our life as caregivers is.

Yes, there are very kind people who help us

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,672
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Thank you for your posts on acts of kindness.  They are always encouraging to me.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Dps,welcome to the forum. Sorry you have a need to be here.

This is a perfect place to post something like this. And when it comes to people being kind, it just gives everyone a lift to be reminded there are actually people who do care. The world is not all bad.

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Now how wonderful was that. I love doing things like that, it just spreads a little joy to someone whom you don't even know.

Thanks for sharing.

eagle

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,309
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

How sweet of those girls to do that for you and your wife.  There are indeed many, many kind people in the world.  There's hardly a family that hasn't been touched in same way with dementia of some kind.  We remember those acts of kindness because they mean so much to us. 

I remember years ago Charles and I had gone to town. When we got to the store he started to get out of the PU and slid down by the wheel after he got out.  Two young men came from across the parking lot and helped him up and back into the pickup.  It didn't end there.  One of them went into the store and got one of those electric carts and brought it out to him, then both of them got him into the cart.  Several acts of kindness I can remember and each one meant so much to both of us.

So glad you posted and, as Ed said, this is the most appropriate place to post something like this.  We need to know about these acts of kindness.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,757
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    What a welcome thread!
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing. In a world that sometimes seems to have run amok, it is heartening to hear of the goodness of people; there really are good people; we just do not hear about them as much.

So appreaciated.

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living