Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

All’s well that ends well

David J
David J Member Posts: 479
100 Comments Third Anniversary

The day isn’t over yet, but I’m declaring it a good day. It didn’t go completely as planned, but what day does?  

I needed to take my truck in for an oil change, and planned to drive it to the shop while my wife was still asleep, and walk home. Well, the wife that I usually have to drag out of bed at noon was up at 5:30 AM. At 7:00 I told her I’d be back in 45 minutes and dropped the truck off and walked home. Surprisingly, she was fine when I got home, not anxious or freaking out as expected as expected. Win one. 

I was planning on walking back to the shop this afternoon while our helper was here. Surprise number two, the shop was closing early for the weekend. Got the neighbor, who’s wife is in early stages of AD, to drive me down there early afternoon. He was happy to get away for a few minutes as his DW was getting to him. He dropped me off and drove the long way home for a break. Win/win. When I got home my DW was again fine and calm. Another win. 

The helper came and I went out to a local brewery for my 2 hours of relaxation. Talked to another regular for a while. They were busy and took a while to get my beer, so it was comped by the server. Another win!  After a second round, the guy I was talking to bought the next round. Another win!  

I returned home to chaos. DW was sun downing more than usual, probably because she was exhausted. She was walking around with one shoe on, missing pants, crawling into bed then getting out, rearranging every towel and article of clothing in the house, etc. The helper was a little lost, not having seen this behavior. I got DW calmed down, fully clothed, etc.  Had a few false alarm trips to the bathroom, but everything is calmed down now. Win number 3, 4, maybe 5?  Whatever. It is amazing what we consider a win nowadays!

Comments

• Tdrinker46
    Tdrinker46 Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    Think for sure you had 5 wins.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Multiple wins today, David.  I am glad you had them.  Yes, our standards undergo a major readjustment with AD.  It’s important to recognize and celebrate the wins as and when we have them.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Glad to hear about all the wins!! Here's a trophy for you.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Glad it was a good day David, mine was too. We'll take them, won't we?!?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more