Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My Turn in the Bucket

banpaeng
banpaeng Member Posts: 66
10 Comments Second Anniversary

Well this week has really been terrible.  Wife tried to run away twice this week.  I don't mean wander as she was mad and wanted to leave.  She was mad and having paranoia all this week.  Did not think of UTI but went in on Thursday for a test.

To show how well the medical profession is for Alzheimer's, I was in the treatment room, they took the wife to get a urine sample,  When they did come back from the test the nurse told me, she spit in the first sample, sprayed the second sample with Lysol, and third only got a drop.  Really could not tell if UTI for sure but got meds anyway.

Her moods go up and down.  Will try to get into the Neuro this week to see if I can get mood enhancers for her or for me.  LOL

Gonna be a long week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

If she has a UTI, she might not have been given the right medication to clear it up. You should probably get another test done, and insist on a culture to be run on it. That will tell them which meds will be best for her particular infection (assuming she has one). The wrong meds might do nothing for her.

You should probably get in touch with law enforcement. They can take her information to put in their database for dementia patients. They will likely ask for a picture of her so that can also be in the database. This all makes it easier for them to find her, if needed. My wife is in the database, and it only took a few minutes. Like your wife, mine left when she was upset with me. I knew which way she went, and called the police. It didn't take long for them to bring her home.

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

You have all my sympathy along with support and cyberhugs.

Its been a terrible week here too. My husband had a very bad reaction when he discovered that I had all the ammo removed from the house several months ago. He went on a hunger strike, refused all meds and was devastated by what he saw as my betrayal.

Things improved when my sister brought DH fried chicken. He started eating again. He even started treating me like the short order cook that he thinks I am. He was reasonably kind for a while

DH is having toileting problems. Bowel movements are especially problematic for him. Yesterday I installed a toilet seat riser with side grab bars. I pulled a muscle in my neck in the process because I wiggled my head between the wall and toilet when tightening the wing nuts. 

At first he liked the "new" toilet.....until he didn't. Then he had a big hissy fit. I calmly explained that I would gladly remove the riser the next day and in the meantime, he could use the perfectly fine toilet in the other bathroom. BTW - he doesn't like the perfectly fine toilet seat because it has a bidet seat.

I am defeated and very tired of being the peace maker when I feel like a human pinata due to all his verbal attacks.

I realize that the disease must be scary and devastating for him. It is for me too.

I know that no one is entitled to a personal caregiver. This is what I choose to do. I will continue to do it to the best of my ability, until I decide he will be better cared for elsewhere.

I am simply letting off steam after a rough couple of days.

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Ed1937 wrote:

You should probably get in touch with law enforcement. They can take her information to put in their database for dementia patients. They will likely ask for a picture of her so that can also be in the database. This all makes it easier for them to find her, if needed. My wife is in the database, and it only took a few minutes. 

LadyTexan asks:

I had my husband put in the database at the police station dispatch. I wonder (out loud) if it is linked to the fire department and EMS? I will connect with the FD and emergency services Monday to make sure they are aware as well. 

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Oh gosh, what a challenge to say the least!    The doctor is probably treating your wife with a broad spectrum antibiotic - hopefully if she has a UTI, the organism is specifically sensitive to that specific antibiotic.

If you need to obtain a urine sample for a UA and difficult to do so secondary to non-compliance, it is often successful to use one of those plastic "hats" that sit underneath the toilet seat that collects urine.  One can get one from the lab along with sterile urine collection cups to pour the urine into after obtaining the specimen in the hat.

The hat fits nicely on the rim underneath the toilet seat, is not big and is often not noticeable by our LOs.  I think one can even order them on Amazon, but all labs will give them out at no cost so specimens can be obtained as well as providing the sterile urine sample cups at no cost.

Putting your wife's information and home address into the local police department computer if they have such a local program, (and most do), is really a very good thing to do asap.  Surprising how often a need arises.

I send you best wishes for things to settle down soonest, let us know how it goes and how you are doing, we will be thinking of you.

J.

• Paul&Me
    Paul&Me Member Posts: 21
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments
    LadyTexan wrote:
    Ed1937 wrote:

You should probably get in touch with law enforcement. They can take her information to put in their database for dementia patients. They will likely ask for a picture of her so that can also be in the database. This all makes it easier for them to find her, if needed. My wife is in the database, and it only took a few minutes. 

LadyTexan asks:

I had my husband put in the database at the police station dispatch. I wonder (out loud) if it is linked to the fire department and EMS? I will connect with the FD and emergency services Monday to make sure they are aware as well. 

LT, when I had Paul entered, I call non-emergency county dispatch number. They had his driver license info for the picture. County dispatch is for all emergency services, so that included fire and ambulance and Sheriff. If anything happens regarding this address or his name, his photo and information will come up as a red flag.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more