Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hair washing sink

David J
David J Member Posts: 479
100 Comments Third Anniversary

Cross posted in Caregivers Forum

I couldn’t find what I needed in the archive, asking here:

Does anyone wash their LO’s hair outside of the shower or tub? What do you use for a basin? I am looking for something like a hair washing sink found at a salon, but not so big and permanent. My DW showers with my help, but absolutely hates to put her head in the water stream. She has great thick hair, shoulder length, and I have to work the water and shampoo through it and onto her scalp from outside the shower. It’s very difficult to rinse, since she won’t get back into the shower stream. I know a hand held shower would make it easier, and that’s where I might end up. The last time we went to the salon she did very well and I was thinking a hair wash sink would work better for us. Any experience out there?

Comments

• mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

David,

My DH was 6 4 (me 5 4) and furious with the water stream. I used a step stool and hand held shower head. Put shampoo on before he even got in and lathered. Once in, I worked my way slowly around all areas until he was comfortable, then the head- never face first. So many battles, then once clean and dry I would get "thank you".......good luck.

Michele

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes
    If you already have a shower, a handheld shower head is inexpensive,(less than $50) and very easy to swap in, at least IME and I an Not handy, not at all. It can make cleaning a lot of things much easier.
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 742
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    I did a search for hair wash tray. There are two types: one is the kind my mom used for us when were were kids that you use with a handheld sprayer at the sink (back your LO's chair up to the sink). The other is designed for a bedbound patient and drains off the side of the bed into a bucket.
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary

Lots of good suggestions!  One or more of them will probably be the solution. I need to install a handheld shower wand anyway, so I’ll try that for hair washing. If I can’t get her into a comfortable position to do the hair, I’ll move on from there. I also was thinking of more frequent visits to the salon. As long as she is ambulatory, this may work. 

Thanks all!

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Hi David. The hand held shower head really makes things easier. When it's time for my wife to take a shower or wash her hair, I get in the shower with her. We have a built in seat in the shower, and it works well. She sits while I wash and rinse her hair. If the water on her head is a problem, you can get shower caps for adults, as well as children. They can help guide the water away from the eyes and nose/mouth. There is another thread going on now about that. Good luck to you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more