Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Seizures, are they part of the journey?

CS 63
CS 63 Member Posts: 32
10 Comments First Anniversary
My DH, just turned 56, diagnosed with FD and EOAD, has had what I thought were dizzy spells.  He's had 5 in the last 12 days.  He's aware and alerts me to what's happening, they last about 15 minutes and his arms shake with exaggerated motion. The doctor thinks they are seizures and has ordered a CT scan.  Is this normal, Google says it's common.  He is late stage 5, early stage 6.  Can anybody share with me similar instances with your loved ones?

Comments

• sunshine5
    sunshine5 Member Posts: 148
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments
    DH has been having seizures on regular basis for the last two years, twice a year. With his Diabetis & heart condition no dr has pinpointed the exact reason for seizures. The neurologist said the seizures are due to recently diagnosed Alzheimer’s. He is on Keppra twice a day. Just received a letter from Dmv, he has to turn in his Drivers License. There sure seems to be a connection somewhere between Seizures and AD.
  • aod326
    aod326 Member Posts: 235
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments

Hi.  My DH's journey actually began with partial seizures, probably the type of seizures your husband is having. These started in 2015 when he was 55. The seizures started out of the blue, clustered over 2 or 3 days, every few weeks.  By October 2017 he was having seizures daily, in spite of trying multiple medications and antibody infusions. Surgery was recommended and he had a partial temporal lobectomy in March 2018. After that he went back to having 1 or 2 seizures every couple of months, so a very big positive difference.

We (including the neurologist) thought the memory issues and confusion he was experiencing was a result of the damage from seizures, plus some effects from the surgery. It was only January 2020 that dementia was diagnosed, by which time he was probably stage 5. He remained on seizure meds (Vimpat and Depakote).

So my DH's experience isn't the same as your DH's, but I wanted to let you know that I experienced something similar.

Good luck!

• CS 63
    CS 63 Member Posts: 32
    10 Comments First Anniversary

Up date,

DH had 2 seizures in a row first thing yesterday morning, I called the ambulance as I didn't feel I could get him to ER easily.  Blood work and urinalysis was fine.  Radiologist commented that what he saw on the CT scan was not typical Alzheimer's progression and has suggested an MRI and referral to a neurologist. In the meantime he is now on Keppra for the seizures with Atavan as a backup if needed for the arm tremors.  He slept most of the day today but did not have another seizure.  Now what?  Just when I thought we had things figured out....

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more