Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

5 year anniversary of diagnosis

Marie58
Marie58 Member Posts: 382
Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments

Not a happy day. 

DH was diagnosed 5 years ago today at age 60. It seems so long ago, yet it seems like yesterday. He was probably stage 3 or 4 when he was diagnosed. Now he's early stage 7 and in MC. The grieving never ends. The losses never end. The sadness never ends. I hate this disease and watching what it's doing to my DH, the love of my life. We've been together 42 years.

Not what we had planned for our retirement years. We both retired early due to this disease. He at age 60 because he couldn't do his job any longer. I retired at age 60, two years later, to be his full-time caregiver. His decline has been fast.

However, I'm blessed that he is in a safe place and he seems content. I'm blessed that we can afford this level of care, although I worry he could live like this for a long time. He's healthy otherwise and only 65. I'm blessed that I can visit him every day. I'm blessed that I can devote time to our grandchildren again, since MC placement has freed me up and lowered my stress level. I'm blessed that I have support from our son and DIL and a couple of close friends. Our local support group is meeting in person again and this forum is also a God send. I'm blessed that we are both believers in Jesus and that we will be whole again and together in Heaven. 

I'm sorry that all of us here are going through this. Thanks for letting me share. I know you all understand.

May God bless us all!

Comments

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 364
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    (((Marie)))
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I'm sorry it has been so very hard. But we will make it through, one way or another.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Oh Yeh

In 2010 we went scuba diving in Thailand and walking with bears in Alaska to celebrate DW's appointment to the highest position in the federal government in her medical field.  

Sept 2010  CRASH

DW was MCI in 2010  58 YO

Alzheimer's   2012       60 YO

Memory care 2017       65   YO (Early stage 7)

late stage 7     2021       69   YO

So been there done that

Sending hugs

• French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Marie, thank you for sharing even the sad anniversaries.

We are following you, 3 years later, but also 10 years younger.

2nd anniversary of my partner’s diagnosis was last month. At the diagnosis he was stage 4 I think. He is now between 5 and 6, certainly beginning stage 6.

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Sorry.

June 4 marked four years I have posted to this board.  June 15 will be the 54th anniversary of our wedding.  Neither event is worthy of celebration.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    I'm so sorry for your husband's quick decline. 

I find it amazing the different rates our LO decline. For us, it's been 5.5 years since diagnosis, and yet DH is still at home, probably only mid stage 6. He's only 57 (diagnosed at 51), and I've always heard that the younger you are at diagnosis the faster it progresses. But nothing about this disease is predictable.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more