Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Placed DH in skilled nursing last week

A. Marie
A. Marie Member Posts: 118
Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
 I am fairly new to this forum and haven't commented here often. But thanks in part to the excellent advice I've received here, I was able to make the decision to place my DH in a skilled nursing facility close to our home last week. I had the NY State Personal Review Instrument completed for him at the end of February, and he scored within the lower limit of needing skilled nursing care then--and things have gotten a lot worse since the PRI was completed. 
DH had attended cognitive care programs in this complex two years ago, and because of this, I was able to pull a string or two. So I'd say (1) pull any and all strings you can find, and (2) keep being the squeaky wheel. And DH seems to be settling in better than I'd expected, thank heavens. 

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to everybody here. You've been far more help to me than you know.

Comments

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Marie, Thank you for sharing your experience. I know a similar move is somewhere in my future and it is encouraging to hear of your DH’s adapting well to his placement. I hope it continues to go smoothly for both of your.
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments

I'm glad your husband has adjusted well so far. I hope you're able to get some needed rest.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more