Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What to tell friends?

Jeff86
Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I had a text recently from friends we haven’t seen since well before Covid—2 years, anyway.

They would like to get together with us.  I’d like to do that, but feel obligated to tell them where things stand with my DW—I can’t recall if we’ve ever  spoken about the AD dx, but even if so the progression from a couple of years back is great.  If we do meet up, DW will likely greet them and be friendly...but won’t much participate in any conversation, may not make sense (word salad) or be repetitive, and so on.

(I asked my DW if she remembers this couple—she doesn’t.  Maybe she’d recognize them if she saw their faces.  Maybe not.)

I feel conflicted—want to give this couple an out if they feel it would be uncomfortable, but don’t want to put a burden on them to make a choice/decision.

Any thoughts/advice?

Comments

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Jeff, I’m these situation I am honest with people about DW’s current status. Typically I says they we would love to see them but I want to give you a heads up on how DW is doing at this time. I gave up trying to sugarcoat what happening a while ago. Hopefully your friends will be supportive.

I find my wife will not remember people by name but when she sees them so does recognize them.

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    I agree with Joe.  Unless you have no intention of meeting up with them, I would definitely fill them in.  If you do meet up with them, in the near future or later, they will eventually need to know.  Also, maybe it will end up being a good source of support for you.  If its something they can't handle, then its good you know that too
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Several years ago, I was in the position your friends are.  DW and I were meeting another couple for dinner, after not seeing them for a couple of years.  Since his wife informed us of his condition, I was not too greatly taken aback when I said "Hi, J., how are you?" and he responded "I've got dementia, how are you?"  I was able to commiserate with him about his son selling his truck, without raising questions like "Did he steal it?" and the evening went real well.

If I were in your shoes, I would tell them something like "DW is getting pretty forgetful, but we still enjoy going out and we'd love to see you."  Have a good time.

• French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Completely in line with CStrope.

You will see after if these friends will be supportive. And then you will be very happy to meet them again, of if they avoid coming. Whatever their reaction, it’s better to tell them before.

Friends came back in our district two months ago. I met them in the street and tell them about AD. They invited me for a lunch during my respite, came home for a diner after (my partner didn’t recognize them), we where invited with other friends last Sunday for the canoë trip. I ask him to tell it to all the other couples before we go. Everybody has helped me.

tomorrow evening we are invited by this friends group to a badminton picnic in a parc. They are very supportive and I feel it as if I can live again. Summer is short, I want to enjoy it.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,672
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    French sounds like you have some very kinds friends.
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary

Jeff, go and have a good time. Tell them ahead of time if you have a chance, but don’t stress about it. I’ve had the same situation as you, and didn’t have a chance to tell them privately ahead of time. They caught on fairly quickly and were very supportive and friendly. 

Amp her incident years ago before DW’s dementia, we had friends over for dinner. The woman was a dog person and was petting our dog and she asked “Now, where will she sleep tonight?”  I answered “On the bed with us”.  “Oh good!” she said. A minute later, she asked “Now, where will she sleep tonight?”  “On the bed with us” “Oh good!”  And again a few minutes later, and again and again. But it was ok, I had my lines memorized and it was all good. Her husband took me aside later and told me about sun downing. The evening went well and everybody had a good time. I have found that most people pick up on dementia behavior and are sympathetic and accommodating, even when caught off guard. 

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Thanks, all, for your good suggestions.

I chatted with our friends—her grandmother had AD, so she’s pretty familiar with what it looks like.  I filled her in on DW’s progression since our last get-together, and they’re perfectly comfortable with having us over for drinks and dinner.
    So we’ll give it a whirl, with hopefully no surprises.  We have a date for a week from Saturday.

Again, appreciate the support and encouragement.
  • eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

You've made the correct decision, IMO. Just be honest and up front with your friends. More than likely they have 'some idea' but filling them in briefly before meeting is a great idea.

I'm excited for your outing. Dinner and drinks - that sounds so 'normal' doesn't it? Enjoy yourself.

eagle

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney