Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Dementia depression

My husband is getting more depressed. He also has bipolar. Had to lower his lithium because of kidney disease. Couldn’t take antidepressant because was 1400$. By time we could get in touch w psychiatrist, he was getting depressed. I put him back on lithium which has always worked well for him for 30 yrs. psyshiatrist prescribed Depakote also but that takes 4-6 was to work Changing psychiatrist but can’t get in until 29 June. Meanwhile I’m trying to decide if dementia is also getting worse.  He doesn’t want to be admitted to psych hospital but I’m torn. Will talk to neurologist in morn. I will Also try to get results of psycho neurological results which neurologist didn’t receive MONDAY.   A LITTLE FED UP WITH MEDICAL FIELD. DH is mostly concerned he can’t get anything accomplished.  He likes to stay busy. Still walks and golfs occasionally.

Comments

• ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Dear Memphisdee:

Sending you hugs...you are doing a great job  'thinking and acting for two'.  I did find one phrase 'amusing':

A LITTLE FED UP WITH MEDICAL FIELD. 

I rely on 'the medical field' because I have so many 'conditions' (the latest is Macular Degeneration) and I'm often more than 'a little fed up'.  I've learned that persistence and careful preparation of my communications, as well as research with 'Dr. Google' are my best tools.

If you put the term 'pubmed' after what you are looking for on Dr.Google you will see all the research papers on the topic.

Regards, Elaine

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Couple of thoughts:

1.  What antidepressant is $1400?  There are many good, modern generic antidepressants available.

2.  Lithium and "kidney disease."  Risk/benefit - what good is preserving kidneys when every day you're depressed?  How bad and what kind of kidney disease?  Might it be better to just take the amount of lithium you need and have a better quality (if shorter) life?

Lots of options here.  He doesn't have to live like that.  People with dementia can plan and do take their own lives.  Sometimes they murder-suicide.  I view depression as life-threatening.
  • Memphisdee
    Memphisdee Member Posts: 64
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    I so agree and had him go back on 300 lithium. Trentillix was the antidepressant. I found out it may just be our pharmacy I nsurance isn’t that good. We just need to hang in until the drugs kick in. Thanks both of you for replies. This beast of a disease can get to everyone. I like the pubmed tip. I do do a lot of research.
  • Memphisdee
    I so agree and had him go back on 300 lithium. Trentillix was the antidepressant. I found out it may just be our pharmacy I nsurance isn’t that good.  But took us 3 days to get hold of psychiatrist on phone!  Another reason we’re changing. We just need to hang in until the drugs kick in. Thanks both of you for replies. This beast of a disease can get to everyone. I like the pubmed tip. I do do a lot of research.
  • storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    There are many options for antidepressants and it's worth the time it takes to find what works best for the person. Also combinations of meds. My husband suffers from depression and bipolar behaviors (diagnosed with Fronto Temporal Dementia); takes Seroquel and Buproprion. Before those meds he was ready to leave this world. Now he has significant quality of life back. Good luck!
  • Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 238
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    ElaineD wrote: 

I rely on 'the medical field' because I have so many 'conditions' (the latest is Macular Degeneration) 

I recently was diagnosed with wet macular degeneration in my right eye. I had the injection and will have to have it for the next 6 months. Now 4 days later after the injection, I still see wavy lines that seem to worsen and also a dark spot in my central vision. This came on suddenly..going from dry MD to wet...in less than 2 weeks.

Has your sight improved at all since you got the injections? I feel for you since I know your DH has AD as does mine and also you have many physical impairment issues. 

Elruth aka Elshack

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Memphisdee wrote:
    My husband is getting more depressed. 
    DH is mostly concerned he can’t get anything accomplished.  He likes to stay busy. Still walks and golfs occasionally.
    I can relate!  My dx is cognitive impairment nos.  Covid restrictions have isolated all of us with subsequent loneliness.  I too went through a rough time over the winter.  Things are opening up.  But they say, don't say getting back to normal.  We have to be prepared for a new normal.  We've heard that before.  PWDs lose the ability to initiate and to problem solve.  
    One of our emeritus members, Mimi S, frequently urged us to focus on what we still can do, not on what we can't do.  Your DH can't get much done the old way.  But perhaps you can work with him to figure out new ways of accomplishing what he wants to accomplish.  Realizing it won't be the same.  He should have failure-free activities on his level.  Perhaps a "buddy" can come by for an hour or two? 
     Iris L.
  • Memphisdee
    Thanks Iris. I will do that!  Got some bushes that need trimming. I’m also sad that our travel plans are all on hold.   Don’t think he needs to travel now that he has this depression.
  • Memphisdee
    How long did it take for the drugs you mentioned to kick in. Two wks since he upped lithium. Two wks Monday since Depakote
  • Memphisdee
    We saw the new psychiatrist 4 wks ago. He’s slowly adding Lamictal as it’s better for depression. So far it seems to be working. He is less anxious and worrisome!  So thankful!  Really happy with new dr!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    That's great. Let's hope it continues to get better.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Oh that's really good news Dee. Fingers crossed
  • Memphisdee
    Thanks, he’s doing really well. I guess depression can really affect your cognition. It’s like nite and day. Pray it stays for awhile.
  • Memphisdee
    Thanks, he’s doing really well. I guess depression can really affect your cognition. It’s like nite and day. Pray it stays for awhile.
  • DJnAZ
    DJnAZ Member Posts: 139
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

After reading your posts, Memphisdee, I am cautiously optimistic that some type of antidepressant will help my wife get past her debilitating depression. We have an appointment tomorrow with a neuropsychologist and depression will be front and center of our meeting. 

It will be an added bonus if her cognitive functions improve a bit as the depression is minimized. I am very glad you found something that works and thanks for posting your success. 

• Memphisdee
    Haven’t been on here for awhile. How’d it go with your wife?  Hub seems to be getting his foggiest back and isn’t getting things done again. Just in time for prob our last trip to our sons for Christmas.
  • Memphisdee
    We’ll I’m back and it’s really bad. Trip to sons for Christmas didn’t work, came home 2 wks early. Latest is Dr added seroquil 3 wks ago and antidepressant Remeron 2 weeks ago. We’ve also had a trip to a geriatric hospital as he was saying it wasn’t worth it.  Hoped to get meds regulated but you can’t do that in a week. That didn’t work and made him so negative. He’s been home for 6 days and not doing well but not as negative as he was in hospital. Fixated with finances and sits at desk for hours. I try to get him to take breaks and go walking etc.  I have hired a sitter which he isn’t thrilled about. I’ll do my yoga which is my diversion. Also one evening with my girl group.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Glad to hear the update Dee but sorry it's so difficult.  Bipolar is hard even without the dementia overlay.  My partner also sits at her desk for hours and piddles with old paper (I handle pretty much anything now relevant so everything she has is old).  But it seems to occupy her.  Wish I could get her outside more as the weather improves, but so far not much luck there either.

Hang in there.  I'd be interested to know how your experience with the sitter goes, we're facing that soon here too and she's going to be very unenthusiastic.

• Memphisdee
    Sitter came for first time today. He was doing the dishes (yes he still can do,them). I had told her he gets fixated. Well there was a serving bowl he couldn’t figure where it went so for 3 hours he stood in kitchen worried about where it goes.  She tried to distract and suggest other ideas I’d given her to suggest. After I arrived He said that was the easiest money anyone ever earned.  We did his pills this afternoon. He’s still in the bathroom thinking they aren’t right. Went in and offer to go thru them again but he didn’t like that. I’m in living room answering email. Wonder how long he’ll stay in there?
  • Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    You can use GoodRx and 30 tablets of 20mg is 412.00 but if he takes more than one dose a day it would definitely be higher.
  • dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Memphisdee wrote:
    Sitter came for first time today. He was doing the dishes (yes he still can do,them). I had told her he gets fixated. Well there was a serving bowl he couldn’t figure where it went so for 3 hours he stood in kitchen worried about where it goes.  She tried to distract and suggest other ideas I’d given her to suggest. After I arrived He said that was the easiest money anyone ever earned.  We did his pills this afternoon. He’s still in the bathroom thinking they aren’t right. Went in and offer to go thru them again but he didn’t like that. I’m in living room answering email. Wonder how long he’ll stay in there?

Was he always very OCD-like?  Or is this since dementia?
  • Memphisdee
    Very fixated and obsessed. Stands all day. His back is bothering so I got him to sit and watch the weather and news which he used to do.  Dr upped his seroquil. I’ve pretty much come to conclusion, we’re not getting any better.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more