Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Now we have Hospice, etc

Husband became dehydrated from not drinking enough liquids.  He also had come to where he would barely eat.  I tried different methods for feeding and providing liquids.  Most times he would refuse both or take very little of either.

DH became very weak and had to take him to Emergency where they did testing and then had him admitted for 4 full days in the hospital.  He was put on an IV and seemed very cooperative with medical staff.  He was in the hospital last October and was a wild man but he also had a UTI with septicemia, and even after a few days treatment he had enough energy to fight everyone away from him.

Hospital this time around would not release DH unless I had hospice in place.  We have set up family room and now have the nurse come in twice a week.  I have declined other hospice services.  

At first I had great difficulty feeling this is the end for my life with DH.  We have been married 44 years and he has been the best husband I could wish for and a good Dad for our only child.. now grown daughter who is a registered nurse and keeps tabs on her dad with care, love, and great support for both myself and DH.

DH will drink vitamin water, eat ice cream, yogurt, applesauce and small amounts of smashed mixed veggies. He even likes Ovaltine.  He does not take in enough of any of these food and drink items to put back on the weight of 60 lbs. he has lost with this disease.  Time will come when he will no longer take in any fluids or solids since he is doing so little of it now.

I have helped him to get out of bed and use his walker to stretch his legs.  We just moves around a very short time because his legs are so weak. He looks forward to using the walker even if he only takes baby steps.

DH was never one for television, but now that he is bed-bound, he will watch the old westerns and I am thankful that he has some entertainment for a few hours each day.

I am happy we have this last stage time together and when the Lord decides to take him I will be saddened and need to grieve but at the same time I will know I have done my best as the sole caregiver for 4 years.  The 4 years had some very difficult times through the stages of this disease but looking back with the anxiety and frustrations I experienced I would do it again because of the love and respect I have for my DH. 

Comments

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Your husband is so fortunate to have love and care at the end of his life.  You get an extra for your crown in heaven for this.
  • June45
    June45 Member Posts: 364
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    Hi Katie,
    I know that you must be in a whirlwind of emotions with the recent decline in your husband's health and all the decisions you have to make to prepare for the end.  This disease is not kind to us at any stage, but you are doing a great job seeing that your husband is comfortable and loved.
  • anneleigh
    anneleigh Member Posts: 65
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Katie, praying for you!  I am sure you did a great job caring for your husband.  Hugs~
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Thinking of you and your DH. Blessings to you both.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more