Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Travel(3)

My wife has early to intermediate stage Alzheimer's. We are going away for a few days next week. We're going to a place that we have been to before and staying in a hotel where we have stayed before. We will also be travelling with her sister and brother-in-law with whom we are very close. I would appreciate any hints on how to make this trip easy and enjoyable for her and any things to watch out for or avoid.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,714
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi there and welcome to the forum.  There are several threads on travel, including some pretty recent:  it seems like response is very variable.  Many PWD are pretty dependent on familiar surroundings, and may not function as well when those supports are removed--but on the other hand, some folks say they want to travel while they still can.  It seems like keeping expectations low and being willing to change plans/be flexible is key.  

I first recognized early dementia in my partner when she couldn't work an unfamiliar shower in a hotel (she built houses for a living and knew plumbing inside out and backwards).

Good luck, I'm sure others will have responses too.  Hope it goes well.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Walterson, welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of help and understanding here, but I'm sorry you might need it.

We have had numerous threads on the subject, and it seems some people do very well for a while, while others do not. But like M1 said, keep your expectations low. Then if things work out well, it will be all that much better. I think having her sister and her husband nearby should help. So go and enjoy yourselves, just don't be surprised if she wants to go home soon after getting there. Hopefully that won't happen.

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Sounds like a good time.  

Don't presume that you are going to a place that is familiar to her, just because you have been there before.  My wife needs directions to the changing room at her favorite clothing shop, and she has shopped there for 25 years.  She knows her way around places she goes every day, but not places she visits only occasionally.  

• Walterson
    Walterson Member Posts: 6
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    Thanks for your reply. My wife is usually an expert at figuring  out hotel showers. We'll see how this goes.
  • Walterson
    Thanks. This will be a very low key trip and she will be with the 3 people she feels most comfortable with.
  • piozam13
    piozam13 Member Posts: 72
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments
    At this early stage, DH enjoyed travelling.  Just don't pack too many activities to tire her and maybe not too long.  DH was always asking when we're going home.  Good luck.
  • caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments

I've traveled with my husband the past couple of months to a few different places, visiting family. I find night time is the most confusing finding the bedroom, the bathroom etc even though he has been here before (like my mom's house)  Be prepared to get up at night if she needs help.  

My husband may have asked once or twice when are we going home.  I just answered him honestly and he seemed ok with it.  Now he tells people we've been all around the world and it was fun!  And he adds "she did a great job driving"  Haha

The days were good especially when there was family around.   I say go and enjoy!  

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

My HWD “gets” hotel rooms. Private homes are a disaster. I allow time for naps, and we travel with our pets when possible; it calms him. I bring a nightlight for the bathroom so he can find it at night, and use all of the latches on the hotel room doors. 

• Walterson
    YYour point is well taken. She will be with the people she is most comfortable with, but we'll try to keep things simple.
  • Walterson
    The night light is a great idea. Fortunately, she rarely gets up during the night.
  • Walterson
    II'm new at this, never having participated in a forum before. Please excuse any lapses in etiquette. And thanks to everyone who replied.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more