Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Anger issues(3)

My LO is usually pleasant in the mornings. She's very polite and thanks me for helping her. Come noon, (I've starting calling it the "witching hour"), it's like Jekyl & Hyde. Nothing I say or do is right. Her brother & his wife were visiting this week and they couldn't believe the drastic & immediate change. I've tried redirection & ignoring the behavior. It doesn't seem to matter whether we stay home or are out somewhere. I am going to contact her doctor this week but if you've been through this,  am I looking at medication or is this a phase that will pass? Any suggestions would be appreciated as this is totally draining me.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    It might help the doc if you can videotape some of the behavior.  There is likely medication that can help so I think you are on the right track.  Good luck, lashing out is so off-putting.
  • mainstreetmarshall
    mainstreetmarshall Member Posts: 22
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    We've gone thru this too but its usually the whole day. My daughter has a habit of texting me to ask which "mom" showed up today, the nice one or the evil one. Fortunately we're still at a stage where hobbies can provide some refuge. I go to my train layout to work and she goes to her den to paint, helps keep us apart, at least for the time being. Yeah that sudden switch can be a real pain....one minute all is well, the next its all fire and anger.
  • Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Hello Carla.  My DW had similar issues though usually starting later in the day. Her neurologist initially prescribed seroquel in a very small dose, 12.5mg.  Within a few weeks we were up to 25mg and then over the next 2 years have slowly worked up to now 75mg.  We start at noon or 1PM and give her 25 mg every 2 hours until bed time.  Her agitation has completely disappeared.  When I miss a dose, it becomes very obvious very quickly.   At 75mg per day she is still under a fairly low dose and she is much happier.   I hope your Dr. can find a medication that leads to a similar result.  Rick
  • shardy
    shardy Member Posts: 43
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments

We like Rick4407 started quetiapine ( generic seroquel) @ 12.5mg and then increased. 

For Jim it took the anger away for roughly 6 months, the anger would then return, we would increase and be good for another 6 months. We have had many increases over the last few years and for whatever reason they now only last about 4 months and the angry rages and nastiness return.

He takes the full dose at bedtime and none during the day.

I was very hesitant to start it but it is one of the best things I have done.

• Camoruso
    Camoruso Member Posts: 14
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments
    Thank you! I hadn't thought of that.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia