Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Getting DH to Accept Outside Helper

It is time to approach the topic of bringing in a companion for my DH who has VD. The last time I mentioned it right before the COVID shutdown, he angrily replied that he didn't need a babysitter. I need to bring it up again. How do I get him used to the idea so he will accept the helper? He is the type of guy who doesn't like people coming to our house.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Hi Lucie Sue. Welcome to the forum. Wish you didn't have to be here, but you have found a good place. People here will share techniques that work for them, they are understanding about anything that is bothering you, and they are willing to help whenever possible.

One of the things we do when our LO refuses help, is to let them think the help is there to help us, not them. Maybe you need a little help with light housework or cooking. Once they get to know the caregiver, many times they will like them, and accept them in the house. Keep the focus on what you need. You will likely get more suggestions. If you don't get any tonight, check back in the morning.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    LucieSue, As Ed suggested making up a “fiblet” that the caregiver is there to help you may make it more acceptable for your husband. Initially when I had tried to bring in a caregiver my DW didn’t want a stranger in the house and would not hear of it. When I needed some surgery I convinced her the caregivers was coming to help me recover and she was OK since the help was for me. The agency the I hired the caregiver through was aware of the fiblet and played along. After a few weeks DW bonded with the caregiver and she has been with us for over 3-1/2 years.
  • Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    My story is the same as Ed1937 and Joe C.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more