Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH insists on buying toys

Wilton
Wilton Member Posts: 6
Second Anniversary First Comment
does anyone have experience with fending off the "I wants"?  Technically he can afford,  but huge waste of money,  and of course he doesn't think through that he'll need assistance to use these things.  Latest is a kayak.  How do we transport?  Where will it be stored?  Of course,  he doesn't care, he just wants.  The wants rarely die out, he just hounds me until I put my foot down (Lots of drama and stress) or I give in.  He can easily see through any ,ies I might tell him.  Ideas?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,714
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Id probably look at the processes by which hes purchasing and see where you can stop. Is it online? Lose the devices or change the WiFi password, take amazon off of his favorites bar and change his password. Is it catalogues? Cancel all direct mail. Credit card? Lose it or change the number if you can. Easier if you have power of attorney of course. 

My partner's bugaboo is animal charities. I divert most solicitations, but I've also torn up checks she has written.  Again, yes she can technically afford, but not when you give away more than you take in every month. The worst was $13,000 in one month last summer, right before I joined this forum and started wising up. She's not online any more, which helps, but every now and then she'll try to order something she sees on tv by phone. There's a new edger sitting in her bedroom that just showed up last week-I have no clue when she slipped that in. Haven't physically removed the credit card from her wallet yet but that's probably next.

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    My DH has never been good with finances and spending, so I've always had to be the budget enforcer.  Since his diagnosis, this has become even harder because I can't rationally explain to him why the purchase(s) are unnecessary.  With every interest he comes up with, comes a whole new set of things he wants to buy,  some are not a big deal, but others can be quite pricey.  So I try and give in to some of the smaller things just to appease him, and try and delay the purchase on some of the larger unnecessary things.  Sometimes it feels like checking out at WalMart with a toddler.......
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

My DH with Alzheimer’s was doing the same, more with donations but also some purchases of crazy stuff. I took his credit card. If he noticed it was gone, I’d say it got lost, or expired, we’re waiting for a new one. Rinse, repeat. I also hid the checkbook, which he’d mostly forgotten about anyway. If he asked for a check, I’d say sure, just let me finish (whatever) and we’ll do that later.” 

I also made sure to get the mail and take all solicitation letters, etc.  He forgot how to use computers/phones earlier, so that was not much problem. But others do what M1 said—change the passwords, change the Wi-Fi, “disable” the device so he can’t use it.

• janeymack
    janeymack Member Posts: 55
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Remove the credit cards if you can. if the numbers are already stored on website, report the card stolen and start over with just you having access. Tell her someone stole the numbers and you're waiting for the new card to arrive. It never does. When it comes to finances, you need to take control now and put an end to the spending. Tell her it's the bank's fault that the cards never arrive.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more