Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New to Community(1)

Hello community,

My father has been diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers. As you all may relate to, times get rough. I live with my father and 2 other family members with a brother who has recently moved out. At the age of 23, I have a lot going on - with a full time job and hobbies. I love my father and would do anything for him and my family. I am looking to connect with other families who are or who have been through a similar situation for as you may imagine, times have been very confusing and sad for myself. Thank you.

Regards,

Matt

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,745
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi and welcome...although we post on all of the boards you will get more responses if you copy and paste this on the caregiver's board.

You will find many there dealing with family dynamics.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Hello Matt and a very warm welcome to you.  I am sorry to hear what is happening with your dear father; he is blessed to have such a caring and loving son and can imagine the heartache and changes this is causing.  It will also be important to find ways for you to continue to have your life and move forward with that too.  It takes awhile to get up to speed and get things set into place.

The Alzheimer's Assn. has a 24 Hour 365 day a year Helpline at (800) 272-3900.  If you call, ask to be transferred to a Care Consultant.  There are no fees for this service. Consultants are highly educated Social Workers who specialize in dementia and family dynamics.  They are of much support for family and those helping with care; .they listen to us and it is a good place to bring our concerns, our emotions and even to vent.   They have much information and can often assist us with our problem solving.

I wonder if your father has applied for the compassionate fast track disability that is available to people with Young Onset Dementia through the Social Security Administration.  Not everyone knows that exists.  If he has not already done so, it would be good to get him to an Elder Law Attorney to get all his legal papers in order; this will save much disruption in the future. Elder Law is the specialty best suited to your father's situation despite his age.

Also, you have landed on the Young Onset forum which sounds as though it is the place to be, but actually it is a place where most input is done by those who actually have Young Onset Dementia and it is also not a very well attended forum.  If you go to the Caregiver's forum and place your Post there, you will get much more input.  We are permiitted to post on any and all Forums, so do take advantage of that if you wish.  The Spousal/Partner forum is also well attended and if you read there, there is a lot of information.

I send you best wishes and am glad you have found us; you have found a good place to land and get much input from others, it can be so helpful as time moves forward.

J.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Whoops; just saw that you did get on the Caregiver's forum, Matt.  Sorry.  I will transfer my post over there.

J.

• bbbonbon
    bbbonbon Member Posts: 11
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    Hi! I understand you. When my neighbor was diagnosed with this disease, I began to pay more attention to him because his family lives far away from him and is not able to come often. I tried to help him find a hobby that he likes but all in vain. Once I read the reviews https://dean-graziosi.pissedconsumer.com/review.html  and remembered that he was interested in investing when he was younger. So I decided to buy him some books that he really liked. It's so cute to watch him learn what he likes!!!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more