Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

funeral trip

Paul&Me
Paul&Me Member Posts: 21
Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments

I grew up in a different state, and most of my relatives still live there. My brother died suddenly. Paul was back and forth as to whether he wanted to go along on the trip. On one hand he wanted to see my family, and didn't want to be separated from me. On the other, he didn't like the thought of a 12-hour car trip or sleeping in a place that wasn't his home. I made arrangements for people to stay with him in our home while I was gone, then he changed direction and said he would go along with me. Paul is early stage 6, dropping further since the trip.

He was uncomfortable and agitated a little bit. He didn't like the motel, or the breakfast choices from local restaurants. He didn't like the long car ride. He felt slighted by someone in my family, and he rushed the decision to leave for home. He was also very pleased with seeing the area where we lived for 4 years, wanted to drive past all the places that meant something to us. It sparked quite a few good memories for him.

It was 2 years ago that Paul announced he didn't want to go overnight away from home ever again. This was the first trip since then.

Comments

• amicrazytoo
    amicrazytoo Member Posts: 169
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I'm sorry for your loss. Glad at least some of the trip brought back good memories.
  • hvhartman
    hvhartman Member Posts: 7
    Seventh Anniversary First Comment
    While the logistics and stress of such trips are difficult, I found it necessary to engage with life as much as possible.  As the disease progresses, the good memories will remain and you will be glad you made the effort.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I'm sorry for the loss of your brother. Problems are almost guaranteed with a trip that long, but I'm glad you were both able to reminisce a little.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I too send sympathy on the loss of your brother.   That was quite a trip - I wish it had been easier for you, yet; somehow you were able to keep things together and like cream, you rose to the top and it seems there may even have been some positive times.   What a long drive for you; hope you were able to get some rest and recoup from all you had to manage.

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney