Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

a post from 3collies

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

This was posted in an existing thread:

"I need to install a safety device on our stove and would like recommendations for a good one. My main concern is gas stove top, but microwave and electric oven are also of concern. Want to have device in home before I have electrician out for install."

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

If you give us a little information about what's going on, it might help with the answers you will get.

For the microwave and the electric oven, simply throwing a switch in the breaker box might be your best answer.

For the gas fueled stove top, simply removing the knobs might work. If neither of these seem like a good option, let us know why you don't think they will work. Then we can figure out something else for you.

Welcome to the forum. I see you have been a member for a while, but you haven't been active. You will get a lot of help from the members here if you become more active. Sorry you are dealing with this nasty disease, like the rest of us.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    3collies, I have an Induction Cooktop to my kitchen. These cooktop will not turn on unless there is something that has magnetic properties on the burn. You can literally put a roll of paper towel, pot holder or anything else non-magnetic on the burner turn it on and nothing will happen, the burner just turns itself off. This is not 100% safe because the burner will turn on if there is some metallic object on the burn but it greatly reduces the risk.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    If the knobs on the gas stove aren't removable, you can turn off the gas using the valve on the fuel line behind the stove.  If your line doesn't have a valve, a plumber can install a new line with valve.
  • 3collies
    3collies Member Posts: 7
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    Great idea! Thanks

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia