Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I feel so lost

2»

Comments

• Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Treading water, this forum is a great place for support, empathy, and information. We all so desperately need it. My husband is in the second half of mid-stage Alzheimer’s. I have dealt with the constant repetition, the inability to understand and accept his condition, the mood changes, the belligerence. The most recent manifestations of this horrible disease are now incontinence, exacerbated by a prostatectomy 11 years ago and falling, which terrifies me. Yesterday he fell twice, once while walking to his dresser and then on the porch. In both cases there was nothing to block his path.

My husband has a full-time aide, whom he treats terribly. She understands this disease all too well, having cared for many Alzheimer’s patients. We’re lucky to have her. I just hope she doesn’t quit. I was hospitalized after trying to care for my husband for five years by myself. It almost killed me. 

Next month we are going to visit my 99 year old mother, who is in frail health. We’ll stay at my brother’s house. I have to pack a suitcase filled with special incontinence stuff. Treading Water, you’re right when you say you don’t know what will happen until it occurs. What has helped me is to read reliable information about DH’s disease so that when it does happen, you’ll know it’s the new normal. Not everyone will follow the same path, including us caregivers.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more