Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Back to church

Kevcoy
Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
Yesterday was our first day back to church since March of last year.  It's and Episcopal church in the southwest and we received a notice that they were starting up in person services again without making a reservation but we were still required to wear a facemask.  We got there and were greated by a gentleman who asked us to sign in digitally for contact tracing.  I knew this would unnerve my DH because he hates doing this sort of thing, even before the dementia.  I saw a look of panic on his face and just took over the checking in.  We sat down in our pew when a couple we have known for years came in behind us and gave us a lean over hug from behind.  The service went pretty well except he kept kept taking his mask off or was dozing off.  When it came time for communion he said he didn't want to go up so I left him sitting there while I took it.  When I came back he wasn't in the pew and I saw him in line to receive communion and it went fine.  When he came back he said he didn't want to see anyone after the service so I said that it would be alright for us to leave and we slipped out.  After we left he asked me who the people were behind us and that he didn't like the sermon.  All in all it went well although I am concerned about what will happen as time goes on but for now we will take it one Sunday at a time.

Comments

• mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Kevcoy,

That sounds wonderful...good for you. One Sunday at a time

M

• zauberflote
    zauberflote Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Kevcoy, I'm glad it went as well as it did! One Sunday at a time sounds perfect. 

When we moved Mom to my city at 90, we took her (a current Lutheran and previous Episcopalian) to.....Baptist church! She was totally unable to recognize a tiny kibble of cracker and a teensy plastic cup of JUICE, taken while seated in your pew, as Communion! So for the real thing I'd take her to the Celtic Evensong services I regularly played at a big Episcopal church very near her facility. She was mobile enough on her walker, and sat right on the aisle just next to my music stand. About the second time we did this, she stayed up at the Communion station for our side, evidently having forgotten that she just finished swallowing. Nothing I could do-- I was playing! After that I asked them to bring it back to her. Not long after, she couldn't tolerate the awful wooden pews any more, so I asked the church to add her to their homebound Communion list. It was reported that both she and the lay visitor enjoyed the visits every 6-8 weeks. 

I hope you can continue attending for a good long while. 

(PS off topic: they just allowed wind players and the cantor back into the Celtic service!)

• garrybort
    garrybort Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Though it’s been a year since your reply, I’m still glad it all went well, Kevcoy! Actually, it’s never too late to come back to your church. You know, I have a local church of love near me that I’ve been visiting since I was a small kid (now I’m 75). Every Sunday, my son and I go to that church to discuss different things about God and our feelings. So, I really hope you’re still attending that church. Actually, Kevcoy, it’s been a long time since your reply, so I’d be happy to hear from you again. I’ll be waiting for your reply!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more