Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New Diagnosis - Vascular dementia

Hello Everyone, 

Glad to have found this group. My spouse was recently diagnosed with vascular dementia.  Can you suggest any resources or experiences?

Thank you.
Hope4Tomorrow

Comments

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Hope, Sorry that you needed to seek out this community but the are many great people here that have a great deal of experience to share. The most important piece of advice always offer to new people is to see a Certified Elder Law Attorney as soon as possible. Delaying doing this can have disastrous results down the road if your spouse no longer has the cognitive capacity to agree to & sign legal documents such as wills, Power of Attorney, etc. Even if you have some or all of these documents in place they may need to be updated given the recent diagnosis.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

My mother had and died of vascular dementia (confirmed after her death)

My wife has Alzheimer's.  My BIL has Parkinson's with lewy body they think

At this moment the legal stuff is most important 

Please fill in your profile   especially state,ages, kids,  if you have a blended family etc.

urban or  rural is also helpful

• Lgw
    Lgw Member Posts: 115
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    My husband was also diagnosed with vascular dementia, actually mixed with Alzheimer's.  I was ready for the diagnosis of Alzheimer's but vascular stunned me. I thought maybe Parkinson's because of his balance and shaking.  He has high blood pressure but most of the time it is controlled.  I have just begun this process for information.  Good luck.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome to ther new members here. Sorry you are dealing with this, but you are in a good place on the 'net. Good people here, willing to help.

My wife has VD, diagnosed 3 years ago. Joe gave you excellent advice about seeing a CELA. The following link is not specific to VD, but it will give you a lot of information on dementia in general. Take your time reading it. The more you know, the easier it will be for you. http://www.dementiacarestrategies.com/12_pt_Understanding_the_Dementia_Experience.pdf  

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes, get your legal work done now.

There is a lot about VD online. This is one of my favorite resources;

https://memory.ucsf.edu/dementia/vascular-dementia

• nelsie
    nelsie Member Posts: 2
    Ninth Anniversary First Comment

look forward to communicating!

• nelsie
    nelsie Member Posts: 2
    Ninth Anniversary First Comment

been about 2 years since diagnosis-mid range now/lots of changes with husband.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Neslie, this is a three year old thread. You might want to begin a new thread and give us an update.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney