Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Eli Lily new drug

jfkoc
jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,714
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    This is probably donanemab--Stuck's wife may get enrolled in a trial, there was another thread earlier this week.  It's another amyloid drug, but it's still early days.  Like the other trials, statistically marginal benefit but may not translate into actual clinical benefit.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Biogen's new drug was recently approved by the FDA amid some controversy, and is on the market at $6,000 per month.  Lilly is testing another plaque-clearing drug, and my wife has volunteered to join the trial.  Neither purports to be a cure but they appear to slow progression.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

"Biogen ’s newly approved monoclonal antibody drug, aducanumab (known by the brand name, Aduhelm), is the first treatment that has shown evidence in clinical trials of reducing amyloid plaque in the brain and slowing cognitive decline."

Hyping a drug (and it's maker) for the stock market  is wall street journals stock in trade.  Remember pharmaceuticals don't have to work to make money

• Stuck in the middle
    I don't know if Lilly's new drug will help or not.  I'm not going to be the one to tell my wife she can't try it.
  • sunshine5
    sunshine5 Member Posts: 148
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments
    Two cups of coffee a day May help people with AD. That’s great news, right? Any evidence?
  • Crushed
    sunshine5 wrote:
    Two cups of coffee a day May help people with AD. That’s great news, right? Any evidence?

Probably works better on AD caretakers, just like whiskey.  Come to think of it 

Irish coffee

6oz  strong coffee  in nice mug.  (do not use stupid Irish coffee glasses with no handles).

1 ts sugar put sugar in coffee
     Have whipped cream ready

pour 2 oz whiskey into coffee   Cover immediately with whipped cream 

to prevent alcohol evaporation.  Wait one minute   to allow vapor to saturate cream 

drink slowly and feel sorry for the rest of the world  

• Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    I love Irish coffe. Esspecailly the way the make it in Spain
  • Stuck in the middle
    We need clinical trials.  The placebo is decaf.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,714
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

that's a good plan Stuck!  There are so many trials about coffee--new ones come out all the time, the problem is there are so many confounding factors it's never very clearcut.  Ditto with alcohol.

It makes some sense that caffeine could help with concentration, it does for most folks.  I know some people with ADHD and all they need is caffeine.  Geriatric psychiatrists also use it (along with Ritalin or Adderall  carefully dosed) to fight fatigue in the elderly.

Moderation in everything usually ends up being the answer with these studies on ingestible drugs.....

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I've taught young students with emotional disabilities. Many parents are hesitant to put their children on medications. I sometimes allowed my students to earn Mountain Dew as a reward. We had one young student who always had a great afternoon in his general education class on the days he had the Mountain Dew, which allowed him to stay in class and access his education. His mother started sending in a small can of MD on a daily basis, with his lunch. I'd say it helped for several months until his body got used to the caffeine. It was such an interesting solution. 

Early, before DH's official diagnosis but when DH was obviously having trouble with memory and concentration, his GP prescribed adderall. It worked for a while. 

• JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions
    Two cups of coffee a day May help people with AD. That’s great news, right? Any evidence?  Probably works better on AD caretakers, just like whiskey.

No coffee for me. I drink tea. I drink lots of tea. I’ll volunteer for the tea study, as long as it’s black tea — not herbal. And you won’t fool me with decaf tea. Yuck.

Whiskey! I’d need so much and I’d end up in AA and I don’t have time for that.
  • Stuck in the middle

One of the child psychiatrists my children saw gave the children with ADHD coffee during talk therapy sessions.  Helped them focus.  

I have tried whiskey, and found it wanting.  It encourages you to shoot at your enemies, and it makes you miss.

• Crushed
    Stuck in the middle wrote:

I have tried whiskey, and found it wanting.  It encourages you to shoot at your enemies, and it makes you miss.

If you are inclined to shoot at your enemies , I agree that whiskey is not for you

Whiskey is for sitting by the fireplace at the end of the day.  I have not had a drink in 11 years but I do have a good memory

Whiskey by the fire - there isn't... - The Merchant Irish Bar | Facebook 

• Stuck in the middle

That does look very attractive.  Reminds me of my grandfather doing the prescribed PT after his first stroke, saying "There's whiskey to drink and women to love, and I need my right hand to do both."

"Here I sit, with a drink and a memory, but I'm not cold, and I'm not wet, and I'm not hungry.  Classify these as good times."  Willie Nelson

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more