Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

from bad to worse

JDancer
JDancer Member Posts: 451
Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
Two weeks ago, my DH's best friend died suddenly. We are both crushed. This was a friendship of 40+ years. Lunch together 3-5 times a week, daily phone calls. The guy who would do anything for us. My husband remains aware of his death, but continues to tell people the wrong thing when explaining the manner of death. I fear he will forget his friend is gone, once the pain is less raw. Thinking about leaving the obituary on the counter, but seeing it breaks my heart, and his. I didn't think things could get worse, I was wrong.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,714
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

So sorry JD, that is a rough loss for both of you.  My partner lost a close sister in December, and we still talk about it on a daily basis:  her voice is on our answering machine and my partner loves that in one way, but it's a daily reminder that part of me would like to eliminate.  

She does undertand that her sister died, so there's at least that.  But we rehash the grief and the cause of death (Lewy Body Dementia only diagnosed during her final two weeks) daily.  I just tell you that to be prepared for the processing to be a long thing, if it happens at all.  Hard for all involved, obviously.  Again I'm sorry.....

• French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    I am sorry you lost such a friend, they are so precious and rare. I can imagine your pain.
  • eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My goodness that is simply tragic. I am so sorry for the pain that you both are going through. There are no good answers, only ones that will help you both. I fear leaving the obituary on the counter will cause him to continually relive the loss and pain. You will know what is best for the both of you. Again, my condolences on the loss of a very dear friend.

eagle

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    eaglemom wrote:

I fear leaving the obituary on the counter will cause him to continually relive the loss and pain. You will know what is best for the both of you. 

I'm sorry for the loss of a good friend. But I think eagle has something to consider. It might be best to allow time to take care of everything, naturally.

• 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

I'm sorry you two are going through this. It's hard to lose such a special friend, but I think things will get better.  

My wife and I lost our one remaining true friend (my best friend) suddenly last March.  For a long time, DW would forget that he died, and then when she'd hear of his death again it was as if she heard it for the first time. So I don't talk about him very often.  When we met with our friend's grown kids shortly after his death, I'm sure they were made even more uncomfortable by the things DW said. It was embarrassing, even though DW meant well and was grieving herself.

Over time, things have gotten better for us and I hope they get better for you and your husband too.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more