Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

sweet and sad

M1
M1 Member Posts: 6,714
1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
My partner told me this morning that she wants to stay healthy so please to buy this new meat/chicken substitute (Incogmeato?) she saw on television.  Bless her, it's so sweet but it also has absolutely no insight into her limitations.  I feel like at eighty, with lymphoma, dementia, rheumatoid arthritis, and scoliosis, if there's anything she's earned it's the right to eat what she pleases (she's never been overweight or had a cholesterol or glucose problem).  But the motivation to stay healthy just kind of breaks my heart.  So that she can do what?  Vacuum more?  Of course I told her I'd look for it.  I have to admire her commitment to sustainable living.

Comments

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 364
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    M1...similar thing here except my husband said a couple of weeks ago that he wanted to stay healthy so that he could be here for me.  Sweet and sad because he had no idea that his "being here for me" is hard on my health.
  • ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

(((M1))). Sure is bittersweet what comes up and out sometimes, you are so right. 

I am grateful everyday that my LO has anosognosia and doesn't recognize his impairment either. I'm glad he is spared the awareness, sadness, shock, helplessness, and devastatation about his prognosis. 

But that means we just get to hold double the pain in our own hearts...hurting for two at moments like these.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    brings back some memories.....thanks
  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    Yes, so sweet and yet so sad. My DH is  forever making plans of what he is going to do in the yard. Of course he is no longer able to do much yardwork, but he makes his plans. Hugs.
  • M1
    Oh yes, the plans are endless, and it does hurt (me).  She goes out every day planning to "work outside" and at the most pulls a few weeds out of the sidewalk.  She has plans to wash all the windows on the house (some are 30+ feet off the ground), fix the fence and the gate, cut trees.  When she bought this property 23 years ago, she could in fact do all of that and more.   The loss of executive function is just stunning.  But the longer she can putter around, the better I guess. As long as she doesn't drive the pickup or the tractor off a hill somewhere.  I don't which is worse thinking about, violent trauma or slow fading away.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Those glimmers of the people we fell in love with are touching.  They are still in there, somewhere beneath the plaque and tangles.  Thanks for sharing.
  • Treading_water
    Treading_water Member Posts: 17
    10 Comments First Anniversary

My DH has become very obsessed with vegan, supplements, and different kinds of foods that he believes will somehow help his brain. Ever grocery trip I find myself looking for some kind of kombucha or raw pumpkin seeds or whatever. We are probably single handed my keeping the organic blueberry industry alive. 

What I think is that it makes him feel like he’s in control. Like there’s something he can do about his condition. We know it won’t make a lick of difference but I just figure if it makes him feel better about his condition I can just roll with it for a while. 

• Stuck in the middle
    I considered vegan, but concluded it was a missed steak.
  • M1
    Made me smile Stuck.....thanks!
  • Stuck in the middle

My pleasure, M1.  

I actually do eat a fairly wide variety of fruits and vegetables, and enjoy shopping at roadside produce stands.  I like it and feel healthier when I do it.

I have heard that the key to a long life is vigorous daily exercise, plenty of greens, an active sex life, and a little scotch.  If rabbits drank, they'd live forever. 

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Treading_Water my DH does the same thing.  His latest idea is to constantly eat salmon and tuna.  He will dump a can of it on everything he eats, even if it doesn't make sense.  He likes to have a microwave meal for lunch, but he'll put a can of tuna on a beef type meal! Yuck!!!  His physical health is amazing, so he is sure he can make his memory issues (aka Alzheimer's) magically go away

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more