Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Late stage 7(2)

Crushed
Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Had lunch with DW yesterday at MC.  No recognition or comprehensible speech. No smiles.  I fed her finger sized fish sticks and a slurry of chocolate cake yogurt and blueberries.  She loved the food.  All food has to be put directly in her mouth.  She can bite a fish stick  and chew it up.  She could not understand a suggestion to "get up" but a gentle hand and she got up and walked off.  she walked past me 4 times without the lightest recognition.  

She is 69 and as lovely as ever. I got a wonderful email from the second winner of the award in her name who described her as a total inspiration for young women in her technical field. 

Went to a big family pool party at my nieces.  All adults vaccinated all kids tested negative within the week.  Got to pick up my youngest grandson for the first time. Got incredible smiles from my cousin's very young granddaughter.  Of course I look just like her grandfather, but I took them anyway. 

I  got wonderful supportive comments from all hands.  My sister (who has cancer) suggested I start a "meals on wheels" for dementia spouses who need not only food but pleasant adult conversation.  

Another day

Comments

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

Her condition sounds so sad—for you. This, and so many other instances, make me think of that Glen Campbell song about Alzheimer’s, called something like  “I Won’t Miss You.”

Meanwhile, that idea about meals and company for spouses is terrific. There is such a need. Can’t believe no one has done that, but then again, I can, sadly. Kind of like how there are so many volunteers to visit with babies and cute kids, but not so much for elder PWDs. Maybe if such a program was clear about how volunteers would be helping the caregiver, it would go better.

• Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    What a loving and bittersweet day. Love the idea of visits to spouse caregivers
  • Laurention
    Laurention Member Posts: 23
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Comments

Crushed...Stage 7 is long and hard ..

This is based on nothing more than my own experience.  I believe with EOAD the younger healthier body wages its biggest battle in late stage 6 to 7. During my DW's final days ..A long time seasoned R.N. said to me "your wife is a tough one and she's not giving up without a fight"

These days my two daughters , and three grandkids are my world. Cherish your family.

Hang in there dude 

Mike 

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

What a day. I am glad you could get smiles and support from your family.

I love the idea of a meal service & socialization for spouses. Consider these names or slogans:

• Man with meals
    • Food & Company
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Or better yet..... Stud Muffin Desserts! Ive always pictured Crushed as handsome.

Thinking of you Crushed and Lady Texan

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    abc123 wrote:

Or better yet..... Stud Muffin Desserts! Ive always pictured Crushed as handsome.

Thinking of you Crushed and Lady Texan

DW was almost blind without her glasses.  I would steal them to look better

But this was my fathers day shirt

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Sounds like a great day.  Thanks for sharing.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more