Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Process for Admission

I have been visiting a lot with my kids and we will start the process of having wife admitted to Memory Care.  Have a couple of homes in mind and will followup with them.  However any tips on how, where or any suggestions would be appreciated.  I guess this is ugly but no "I think" but real life or?  This is already real and is killing me.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Good morning.I don't know if you've seen this thread, but there is a LOT of information in it. https://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=posts&t=2147552810  
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Hello banpaeng, it is good you are looking for information.  Here are some links that may be helpful.

The first link is to a discussion by Members re what to look for in Memory Care and what to be asking:

https://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=posts&t=2147552810

The second is the most excellent resource of multiple pages. While the discussion is re nursing home admission, it can all be applied to Memory Care.  It begins prior to and on the day of admission and then carries on through all the dynamics one most often come in contact with when a Loved One is in a care facility; I find this source of information priceless and only wish it were available in hard copy for sale as a book. Here it is:

http://www.illinoiscares.org/book/chapter01

So important to ask the question what sort of condition or behaviors will cause a patient to be demanded to leave the facility.  It is worth asking of not only the admitting/marketing person, but also the Director of Nursing, the Administrator if you should come in contact with him/her, and the Social Worker, and the Supervisor Licensed Nurse on your Loved One's potential care unit.  I realize this sounds over the top, but from experience, it was a question I should have asked.  My LO was demanded to leave once she could not get to the bathroom, when she could not get to the dining room for every meal, and when she was more than a one person assist for transfers into and out of bed and wheelchair. Some places do not want wheelchairs and insist the patient be ambulatory, so  that too was a bit of a surprise.

The following is from Florida re how to choose a NH; but much of this can be applied to MC too, it has some questions and things to look for that are important:

https://www.floridahealthfinder.gov/reports-guides/NursingHomesFL.aspx

It is good to be aware that if you use the Medicare.gov rating of nursing homes, that the data is NOT gathered by inspection; instead, each care facility reports their own numbers which may or may not be accurate.  No one checks to see if the reported data is accurate or not.

It is best, when screening a care facility, to ask to see the report from their last inspection.  By law, this must be available to anyone asking for it; especially important for family members.  It is not insulting to ask to see this, it is expected.  Just be aware that every single facility, no matter how wonderful they may be, will have some reported deficiencies with recommendations; it is a matter of degree what is found, you will get used to evaluating what you see. In these reports, care facilities also report what they are going to do or what they have already done to correct any deficiencies.

Best wishes for a successful outcome, let us know how it is going, we will be thinking of you,

J.

• Cynbar
    Cynbar Member Posts: 539
    500 Comments Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Once you have chosen the facility, their staff will lead you through the admission process, what paperwork is needed, etc. There will be forms that the PCP will fill out. There will be a contract to sign which includes the financial arrangements ---- make sure you read it carefully. You will likely get a list of clothing and other personal items that they will want you to provide. Some residents bring furniture and other possessions, that needs to be coordinated. They will be available to answer any questions. Don't forget that the staff does this regularly, there's no question they haven't heard and they have the answers.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more