Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Prep for legal appt.

So Im ready to make an appointment with an elder care lawyer. Is there anything I should do in advance to be prepared for that appointment? Documents to gather, lists to make? Enquiring minds wanna know!

Comments

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

When I had my appointment with an eldercare attny, they sent me a list of forms to fill out and paperwork to have. It was basically copies of our current will and POA and all kinds of financial information. 

Basically, they'll let you know what you need.

• banpaeng
    banpaeng Member Posts: 66
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    Just be sure you have a CERTIFICIED Elder Care Att.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    You shouldn't need anything for the first appointment, but you will need quite a lot when it is time to actually hire an attorney to handle your case. They will let you know exactly what is needed, then it's up to you to provide everything needed to protect your assets in the best way possible.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    Ed1937 wrote:
    You shouldn't need anything for the first appointment, but you will need quite a lot when it is time to actually hire an attorney to handle your case. They will let you know exactly what is needed, then it's up to you to provide everything needed to protect your assets in the best way possible.

I honestly disagree  That just wastes the lawyer's time

Put on a page
    name address all contact information
    age marital status and when married Children, birth dates

Employment , current Social security status for both of you 

Home ownership status , anyone living in the home.

Diagnosis status  THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT

Any relevant "condition" of your own that could affect  caretaking (can you drive etc)

Any transfers you are currently contemplating.

Any business you own or operate  or rental property  (These are much more complcated than financial assets.

Any other state you lived in during the past 5 years. 

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Additionally copies of any/all legal documents in place including tax return, bank records, equity records. You may or may not want to share all of the information but ......

The more info you pull together the more you will know and the better the conversation.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more