Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

feeling down(1)

Elshack
Elshack Member Posts: 238
Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

DH is 91 and I am 81. He is probably moderate stage. I find I am getting extra down re: this whole situation. Recently I was diagnosed with wet macular degeneration and will have to get monthly shots in my eye. My vision is compromised. I am in charge of everything and also have had fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome for 21 years. We moved almost 3 yrs ago to an independent apartment and they serve dinner every night .

Today I feel as if I am a bad person as I was getting aggravated with my DH who didn't want to eat his lunch and didn't take his pills unless I reminded him 10 x. I knew I should just hand them to him one by one and give him water. He naps alot and today I didn't even eat breakfast or lunch and retreated to my room and slept for 3 + hrs. I just wanted to escape! 

I so admire those of you who have been on this road for many years. Just  5 yrs for me and the last 3 quite bad since he had brain surgery for brain bleeds after a fall. I can leave him alone while I get my hair cut, nails done, grocery shop etc so my situation is better than  most for sure.

Comments

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

You are not a bad person.  Caring for an uncooperative person would teach the preacher to curse.  You are a good person to do this.

Please try to take care of yourself.  

• David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary

Elshack, 

You and your DH have few years on my DW and me, but I get it. What do you do when your spouse of several decades just stops listening to you, and won’t take care of themselves?  At least he can be by himself while you go out for a while. I’m jealous. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more