Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Moaning

Ssue
Ssue Member Posts: 8
Second Anniversary First Comment

My DH has starting moaning, sometimes repeatedly sometimes off and on, or all night the. All day.

I have asked him about pain and checked him for pain or possible need to go to the bathroom. 

Most of the time there is no reason. He verbalized he didn’t like the way things were as he just had gotten out of the hospital and rehab. Other times he verbalizes nonsense or something from his job that he has been retired from for 12 years.

He is a lu g cancer survivor and the diagnosis of dementia is from radiation. He is progressively getting worse.

I have read sometimes moaning is from the realization that they aren’t thinking correctly other theories were it was like a soothing sound to them.

Anyone else experience this? Any tips on how to handle it?

Comments

• Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    Oh yes! My husband moans every day. It’s most frequent first thing in the morning and late at night. When I ask what’s wrong he always says, «I don’t feel well.»  If I ask for specifics, the most I can get is that something hurts. It always passes but moaning has become its own means of communication. Heaven knows what’s going on in his head, and whether something really does hurt.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I whimper sometimes, but I still have some filters so I save it for when I'm alone.  It seems to help.  Sort of a nonverbal means of complaining about my lot in life.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

My DH moans constantly, sometimes under this breath and sometimes louder. He is mostly unaware that he’s doing it. No reason given, just as you said. Sometimes he denies doing it, sometimes he says he has “a pain”. Which an aspirin or mint (fake med) may relieve for a bit. I think it’s mostly a habit? Or like a tic? Something like that.

Yes, it’s annoying. Basically, I got used to it, more or less. Sometimes it’s more irritating than others. Music helps, so do headphones/earbuds.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

It it is so difficult to know what is causing discomfort and moaning as many of our LOs can do longer identify or quantify their areas of pain or discomfort.

Even dizzingess, light headedness can be expressed as pain by moaning.  Hemmorhoids?  Artrtic joint or back pain?  Vision problems?  Prostate issues?  Gas?  Hungry?  Need to use the bathroom?  Itching?  Earache?  Tummy ache?  Toothache?  Depression?  Wanting to "go home," or missing their earlier life?  Bored?  Toenails too long?  Yeast infection in groin?  Feet hurt?  I could go on and on and on . . . . sometimes I felt like a detective. 

Sometimes if I could refocus the mind the sounds would stop; if they continued, then I was looking for reasons.  Sometimes I could find them, other times I could not.  I did however, keep up with doctor's appts. so that a checkup could be done with labs being done at intervals.

Look to see if your LOs face is crunching up when moaning which would be pain; doees he/she guard a part of their body .  . . . or guard or withdraw  a part of their body if an area is touched? That may indicate pain.

I remember a Post discussing such behaviors; I will see if I can find it.

J.

• Jo C.

Found it. This is a two part article found by another Member whose name I do not recall.  Anyway; it is an excellent article and addresses "wailing and screaming," however; the dynamics and input can also be used for persistent moaning.  Here are links:

J.

• Ssue
    Ssue Member Posts: 8
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    Thank you so much very helpful!
  • Jo C.

The article regarding moaning and dementia were all pretty much aligned with the Part I and Part II of those links. Let us know if you find out anything else for causation.

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney