Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

4th of July

Kevcoy
Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
I was dreading the 4th of July more this year then in years past because I was sure there were going to be more people out celebrating with a tone of fireworks since it was a long weekend and the first since Covid.  First is becuase my dogs and cats get terrified with the loud explosions to the point where the cats hide for hours and one of my dogs has been known to bite when scared.  Secondly, I was worried about how my DH who I call the grumpy old "get off my lawn" man would react to our neighbors shooting off fireworks.  He has been known to tell people if they didn't live in our neighborhood they shouldn't be walking or jogging on our street.  He takes care of four feral cats and is convinced our next door neighbor has plans on killing the cats and are setting traps for them.  They aren't.  So it started when some neighbors who live behind us in a cul-du-sac were having a pool party in the afternoon and the street by our house was packed with cars.  Our house is on the corner and if anyone parks on the street by our house he goes balistic.  I knew from years past that all those people at the party would be there until after dark and do their fireworks show but what I didn't know was how my husband would react to all the noise.  I went over around 7pm and kindly asked if they could keep the animals and their owners in mind who hate fireworks and maybe not shoot them all off and / or maybe limit the time to an hour or so.  Well, just as I had expected at 9pm the fireworks were going off in full force and the dogs and cats were going wild.  What I didn't expect was my DH seemed just as scared and confused about all the noise and he just sort of retreated to the corner of the family room and didn't say much.  It was me bouncing off the walls, going back to their house because they were still shooting them off after 10pm telling them to stop or I was going to call and report them using illegal fireworks.  I was just wondering about others experiences with the 4th of July and how it went for you.

Comments

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    No problem.  We aren't owned by any animals. and DW just took out her hearing aids at her usual bedtime and sacked out.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    My partner and the dog were both upset.  We had company for dinner (her idea) but by this morning she couldn't remember who had come or what we had for dinner.  Spilled water all over the floor trying to give the dog water at midnight (he had plenty).  Tried to write a check today and thought it was August 2012 (digits reversed, you can see where that came from).
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My family came over (dad, brother and his girlfriend and son, and my older son). Eight people including the three that live here. My dh lasted longer than I expected, about 1.5 hours, then went to bed. It was a wonderful afternoon, but after the people left my dh was really mad, "here I was lying here in pain and nobody cares. Nobody came to check on my, and you were all having such a good time in there."

In other words, about par around here. Fireworks were bothering dh (about 8 p.m. to midnight), but he's privately grumpy, not go-yell-at-the-neighbors grumpy. No pets.

Diane

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    The 4th was about one of the best days we've had in a while. DH was having a good day. We spent 4 hours at my parents' house, which is about 2 1/2 hours more than I expected. We live in the country, so the fireworks bangs were a bit distant and not too loud. But we've heard them for about a week now, for hours each night. Our dog just doesn't care.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

We have a dog and a stray cat. Both did fine during the fireworks.

I was worried DH would be annoyed by the firecracker noise and rudely tell the neighbors to keep it down in less than appropriate language. I was especially concerned because the folks across the street were having a huge birthday party for their 15 year old son and the music was VERY LOUD. They are our favorite neighbors and I don't want to strain that relationship.

I worried for no reason because DH was in bed asleep by 7 and didn't stir after that.

Earlier in the day I was blessed with Joyful Moments with DH (see my earlier post for details). The tender interaction with DH was so unexpected and so special, that I am still floating on cloud 9.

Most days at our house are far from smooth, special or joyful. God truly blessed us yesterday. I am grateful.

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Went to a family party yesterday. Someone didnt tell me that the one o’clock start time had been changed to 2 or 3. We were already heading to the party, and the clock had already been started on the Ativan . So we did errands and showed up at two. 

Started really well . He asked me to dance . Roamed around the party and grazed on the food table. But he has begun pocketing things . He took the beer opener and someone wanted it back. He refused. They tried to reason with him, and we know how that goes. I could see him ramping up . He turned it over but was put out. He cut his finger on some tool left out and I asked his brother to help me get him to the car. It took a long time to get him in, and he cried all the way home because” everyone is against me”. 

Note to self:  Don’t make your dementia patient go to a hot, loud, exhausting party that isn’t child proof and expect it to go well. 

I think this will be one of his last parties of this type. I’m still glad I went. Next time I will feel less guilty about saying no to the invite. And this event will color how I do the big family holidays going forward 

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I can relate to that too well, Battlebuddy. My sister-in-law (almost) was talking about having people over there the next time and I quietly related that it might not work well for us. If we're home he can just get his feelings hurt and go to bed, but if we're out it goes badly.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more