Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Frozen Cake and Cole Slaw and Many Thanks!

Many thanks to all who have spoken into our lives since I joined this group last week!  I have read every topic in this forum!  I have made an appointment with a CELA for August 17th.  I downloaded and read Understanding the Dementia Experience by Jennifer Ghent-Fuller which was incredibly helpful.  I ordered the devotional The Unexpected Journey which is lovely.  I have been taking naps when he takes his naps.  I have completely stopped trying to reason with him and like Elsa I am "letting it go."  We have a picnic at church tonight and instead of cooking up a storm and worrying about the dishes I would need to prepare and present, we went to the grocery store and bought frozen cakes and coleslaw---he was a bit surprised, but I am changing things up and taking things easy--at least what I am able to.   He did get lost at the grocery store for about 10 minutes but I just parked myself by the door until he showed up and I didn't panic.  When he angrily accused ME of getting lost I just smiled and said "I am so glad you found me!"  He will talk and chit chat to every one at church tonight and thoroughly enjoy himself telling everyone stories that are not close to truth, but I am not even going to fret or care about that.  I think most of them know what is up by now.  Life is about to get a whole lot simpler around here thanks to you all!

Comments

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Hello again, Cindy.   You are awesome and doing a really great job!   We are so glad to have you with us.   There is a learning ladder and it takes time, but you are really learning very quickly and I am sure will continue to do so.

There is a lot to share here, and just keeping contact is a very good thing.  There is a completely different Thread written by Lorita, "Just Need To Talk To My Friends."  On this, we call it getting togethere on Lorita's "Front Porch."  Weather is always perfect on that porch and the rocking chairs fit all sizes of back sides.  We talk about our lives, what is happening with ourselves, a lot of gardening news is shared and it is a peaceful place of respite.  Lorita now has the 150th Thread just started; it is a continuation of number 149 and our day to day sharing.   When you are up to it, do give it a look see; it is as said, a comfortable and peaceful place of respite.  Lots of information and often recipes shared.

In any case, I so hope tonight will be a really good night at church; the dishes you will bring will be appreciated and no stress for you - perfect!

Times will be up and down and all around; rinse repeat - that is dementia, but we are always here for support of one another and we get to know one another quite well.

Warmest of thoughts are being sent your way,

J.

• piozam13
    piozam13 Member Posts: 72
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments
    Cinsababe,  I like your attitude.  Like you, I learned a lot from this forum.  I was able to anticipate changes in behavior and problems.   There's not much we can do about the disease.  But we can learn and change  how we respond to our LO.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,673
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I like your attitude too.  You are learning to put your oxygen mask on.  Hate that you need to be here but glad you are finding help here.
  • Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I like your attitude.   The only person we can control is ourselves.
  • eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Great attitude Cinsababe. I'm glad you've found us and are sharing with us. That is what its about - helping each other along the journey. Purchasing food instead of making it is a good step - good for you. 

As for napping I think its a great idea to rest when your LO is resting. Its called surviving. Again, good job.

eagle

• Paul&Me
    Paul&Me Member Posts: 21
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments

I have also been making things easier on myself. There's no shame in buying instead of making things to share - maybe the alternative is to not show up, and I know that's not an alternative you want to consider.

Your comment about his getting lost in the store almost mirrored one of my experiences. He clings to his "jobs" that he can still do. One is to return the grocery cart to the corral. I didn't know to watch for him, and when I realized he hadn't come back to the car in a timely manner, I went looking. He was two aisles away. When I got close to him, he was angry, and asked why I had moved the car! I calmly said, "We're over here," and led him to the car. A couple of times since then he has gone into a convenience store while I sat in the car, and he has sometimes tried to get into a different one. In one case, I was inside a small store that he didn't want to enter. He was outside of the car in the sunshine, but when I glanced out the front windows he was heading toward a different car to get in. Vigilance, just like having a toddler again.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more