Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I thought this was great survey and it shows what people do not know.

Comments

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Thanks for sharing.  I guess I'm not surprised by what people do not know or understand.  What concerned me was the large percentage of people combined who didn't think or didn't know about the financial impact and the ability to afford long term care.  And I guess I take exception to the survey's selling the idea that there is "treatment."  Just a thought.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Very interesting Michael. Thank you for sharing.
  • Bhopper
    Bhopper Member Posts: 64
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    My wife did not want to know and I fear now is a mistake to not tell her five years ago about the original diagnosis and potential outcomes as now the understanding of that is not an option and she does not even realize she is sick or has any losses waiting on some level is a blessing at the time her largest fear in life was Alzheimer’s As she watched it to take her dad so I couldn’t bring myself to tell her the truth of her condition and also helped her hide what she knew was wrong from other members of the family as long as I could to keep her as happy as possible for as long as I could don’t know where that sits in this data and study but that was our experience
  • Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Bhopper—Telling your wife may be a moot point. My husband’s grandmother had early onset Alzheimer’s. DH’s mother always feared that she’d get it. She never did but my husband was diagnosed about 7 years ago. From Day 1 he never thought anything was wrong. Up to 80% of people with AD exhibit this anasognosia. It’s not denial but rather an inability to understand and accept what’s happening.

Don’t beat yourself up about the decision to tell or not tell your wife. Just take each day as well as you can. As time goes by, the issue will fade in importance. We are all learning how to navigate this horrible disease without drowning ourselves.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more