Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What a pill

Whyzit
Whyzit Member Posts: 156
Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes

DH was restless all night Tuesday, waking me with his fidgeting movements. At 5 a.m. he was rummaging through the stuff on his night stand looking for a pill he dropped. Pill, what pill? Sometimes he calls cough drops pills so I figured that was it.

Wrong! He had taken the medication that wasn’t due until bedtime (16 hours later). For years the nighttime pill container has been kept on his nightstand and he managed it perfectly. That all changed yesterday. Wednesday night I gave him his pills and he was very angry with me. After all, he has done it for years without my help. He went to bed. While cleaning up in the kitchen I noticed the pill container had disappeared. I knew he took it but where did he put it?

This morning I looked on the nightstand and in the drawers for the missing pill container without success. At breakfast I was going to ask him if he knew where it was. To my surprise, he pulled the pill container out of his pocket and asked me if I knew when he was supposed to take them. I said yes and asked if I could help him with that. He said Yes, he has always trusted me. And I have always trusted him until I learned I can’t anymore about anything. We just had dinner and he has asked me for the third time if he has taken all his pills for today.

Comments

• anneleigh
    anneleigh Member Posts: 65
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments

Whyzit, Hopefully your husband will let you manage the pill container from now on.  Have a good night

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,310
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hi Whyzit,

I think in some way they realize when the time comes they can no longer take their medications as they're supposed to.  That happened with my husband.  I had always filled the pill container every week but he took care of taking the meds when he was supposed to.  One day he gave me the container and said he thought I should give him his  medication from then on.  No trouble at all from him.  Maybe that's what happened with your husband.  At least you'll know he's taking them at the right time.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I just knew my wife, an RN, would give me a hard time when I needed to take over her meds. But one day I grabbed mine (I only take two pills)  and hers, and said we should take our pills together. It was a gradual transition, but now I always give her her meds. She has no idea what she's taking, I've been doing it so long. Good luck to you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more