Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Lost my cushion

nancyj194
nancyj194 Member Posts: 173
Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

On July 7, I lost my beloved Cairn, Brinna. She was my cushion in dealing with DH. I enjoyed being able to focus on something else that was living and breathing.  

At 75, I feel too old to get another dog. Brinna was a retired champion show dog that we got from a couple who wanted to find a forever home for her. We were blessed.  

DH slept with the dog since we got her, but shows little emotion that she is gone. I am glad this loss has not been as hard on him as it is me. The day after we had her put to sleep, he cleared all of her stuff out of his bedroom with no emotion.  

Thanks for letting me share my broken heart. 

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Nancy, I'm sorry you lost a loved one. We dog lovers know that they really do become part of your family, and losing them is very hard. We have enough to contend with without dealing with a loss like that. Again, I'm sorry.
  • lqadams
    lqadams Member Posts: 51
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments 5 Likes

So sorry for your loss.

My boys,  Charlie and Happy, are the joy in my life. They give me unconditional love and are my support team. They listen to my complaints and watch me cry.  I would be so lonely without them. 

My husband no longer knows their names,  but at times they still bring him a little joy too.

Maybe you can  consider adopting a senior dog that needs a home. 

• Cynbar
    Cynbar Member Posts: 539
    500 Comments Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    My condolences. July 10 marks 1 year since we lost our beloved Schnauzer to bone cancer. The empty feeling in the house was terrible, and my DH looked for him for a long time. At first we thought we couldn't go through that again but the feeling didn't last. Our new Schnauzer puppy is almost 6 months old, and he's been a godsend. Perhaps the right little dog will find you and you will need each other.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Cynbar wrote:
    Perhaps the right little dog will find you and you will need each other.

I love the way those words fall together. And if Nancy is willing to give it a try, that's probably exactly what will happen, although she's probably not ready for that yet. But that dog is out there for both needs to be met.

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    ((((Nancy))))      I am so sorry for your loss. I am also a dog & cat lover and I could not imagine not having one in my life. My cat who was 10 years old passed away last month. I still have my little dog and shes filling the void. I am also 75 and if I ever got another dog I would look for a older rescue dog. When the time comes you will be ready. Hugs Zetta
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Losing a dog is a special kind of loss...we are sad with you.
  • Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    I am so sorry for your loss. I’ve gone through it several times and it really, really hurts. My beagle has cancer. She’s being treated with mild chemo but the day will come when it no longer helps. My husband is so attached to her, even more than I am…and I am devoted to our sweet Maddie. She got me through Covid and my husband’s Alzheimer’s decline. I dread the losses coming up.
  • terei
    terei Member Posts: 570
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I am sorry you lost your pup.  I am very attached to my dog, so I know what you are feeling, having lost others also.

Dont feel you are too old for a dog.  You might want to consider adopting a senior who needs a home when the time is right.

• Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Oh Nancy I am so sorry for your loss. I too am almost 75 (yikes) and we just got a puppy that was 10 weeks old...a Poton. He is so cute and a lot of work but so fun! Between he and my husband I do not get much done. I was going to get a senior dog but this little guy keeps us active. It is hard to replace your precious dog at this time.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Nancy, So Sorry for the loss of your four legged family member. It leaves such a huge void when they are no longer with us.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

So sorry Nancy.  We dog lovers know the special pain when they cross over the rainbow bridge.

My DW has lived with and loved dogs her entire life.  Now, though, she often doesn’t recognize our English golden retriever, doesn’t know the dog’s name, doesn’t pet her.  

One of the many losses of self on the AD journey.

• nancyj194
    nancyj194 Member Posts: 173
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. You all brought tears to my eyes, but they were sweet tears.  

I know many walk in my shoes with the loss of their beloved pets. It is incredibly difficult and seems more so when we are dealing with Alzheimer's of a spouse. 

Brinna was seven years old when we got her. Her first family raised show dogs and Brinna was one of their best. I was given a scrap book of all her champion ribbons. Sorry to be bragging!

We still keep in contact, as her first "mom" was broken hearted to see Brinna go, but they had to limit how many retired show dogs they kept. 

Now I am broken hearted.  

On another note, my husband could sometimes be a little harsh with the dog, especially after she started to get sick before the cancer was diagnosed.  Brinna was so sweet and well raised that she tolerated it. I would intervene when I saw him being too hard on her.  

Our son had to install gate alarms, as my husband would leave the gates open and the dog would wander off.  Only by the grace of God did someone not take her or she didn't get run over by a car.  A puppy would be too risky to get lost, I feel. An older dog like Brinna was might work okay.  I'll think about it. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more