Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

The newest care plan

I have most of a plan for the next school year. Just thought I'd update for those who read these boards and want to know what others do.   How to handle full-time care when the time came has been a huge a worry of mine from the first time I heard DH's diagnosis. 

Last school year (I'm a teacher) I put together a variety of people to assist, but about 1/2 the time it was DS, who was home from college due to Covid. He's going back to college in a month.

My new plan involves a home health care nurse 4 days a week. I'm unbelievably lucky that she's available and lives nearby. She teaches 1 day a week at a local university, and will be with DH the other 4 days. She wants very little money for doing this - we've known her for many, many years and the last person she took care of recently passed. I will be paying her more than she is asking, because she's worth it.

That last day is still a puzzle, but I have the pieces I need- I just need to figure out how they go together. Daycare isn't working out, everywhere but 1 place I've called has either stopped doing it since Covid and has decided not to restart, or is not a good option. I'm visiting that last place next week. I'll still need to figure out transportation. But if that doesn't work out, I think I have a couple of leads on people who might be willing to fill 1 day a week.

Money wise, this is going to take almost all of my take-home pay. I've been saving for this for the last few years, and DH has a good amount of SSDI each month. And I may have a lead on a grant (but need more research on that one), and my father-in-law has offered to help financially a little each month. I'm comfortable with the costs, and I feel a great sense of relief that I have a plan.

Comments

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Can I assume you have good tax advice on deductions?

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Yep. And a professional who has helped me figure out how to pay her and report the income.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    That has to be a huge relief. I'm glad things are falling together for you.
  • French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Josey, i am glad you have a good solution. The same person 4 days in a week is a good solution.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,673
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Josey glad things are falling into place for you.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Well done Josey.   This has been a major stressor for you, so it’s great that you’ve come up with a workable solution.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more