Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

The right side

French
French Member Posts: 445
100 Comments Second Anniversary

When I guide my partner in the shower, I'm pretty good at getting him to wash the right side down, but not the left side. For the arm, it's the opposite. He washes his right thigh and left forearm a lot.   And it's the same for wiping. He only wipes his right leg, I can get him to wipe his left foot but never higher. 

At the table, I realize that now he can't do it anymore with the fork on the left. He still cuts well with the fork on the left and the knife on the right and when he is done, the fork goes into the right hand. He no longer uses the knife to push in his fork, but more and more often his fingers.

I'm curious about this and am beginning to wonder if the disease is affecting his left-side perception. 

Does this sound familiar to you ? 

Comments

• Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments

Yes it sounds similar to my husband.  He use to be right-handed but since 2018 he uses his left hand to eat.  He can only eat food that he can easily pick up with his hand.  In the shower he uses his left hand to hold the washcloth but is losing his grip and drops the washcloth.  

As time goes on he's losing his grip.  He doesn't hold a cup or a water bottle, I hold them for him.  Once in a while he'll let me feed him.  I know the time is coming when he won't be able to feed or wash himself.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more