Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Some of the annoying things people say to caregivers........

2»

Comments

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

aod326 I agree.....so many times people will say "does he still know you"?  Really, do they seriously think they go to the doctor, get diagnosed, then jump right to not knowing anybody!

Then I have to respond with yes he still knows me but.......he can't complete a sentence, he can't follow a tv show, he can't make a decision, etc. etc.  

And I always feel like they hear my response and think, well he's not that bad then!  Like you said, just because he still knows his wife he's okay.

• 1962ART
    1962ART Member Posts: 32
    10 Comments Second Anniversary

Worst comment ever:  My (former) therapist who said, "I can help you with what you are going through; my wife's mother has AD."  Could he just say, "Tell me about some of the things that are hard right now."  What a jerk.

Second worst comment ever:  "Well, we're all getting old and losing our memory a little," from my dear sister.  Good grief.  Said sister positively hovers around her neighbors who are dying from cancer, because apparently that is a "real" disease.  Visits, trips, home cooked treats, etc.  None for us.  Plus, we get to hear constantly about the progress of their dear friends.  It gets really exhausting to keep in contact.

I reread what I just wrote and started laughing.  You really cannot have any other reaction.  Too much time spent crying as it is.  

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Ohhhh, you are so blessed to still have your mother! What a blessing! You are so fortunate!

This coming from an old friend who I clearly recall telling her mom to F off when we were teenagers. I never spoke to my mother like that, never.

As far as blessings go, IMO there is nothing, nothing about this disease that involves blessings. Wicked is more like it.

I know my mother extremely well. If it were at all possible, she would end her life.

• mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Hi All,

There's too many to recall, but I have to say IMO today is my 1st Anniv without DH.

And here's my take:

Number #1 No-you don't get it!

Number #2  And I just learned this in the last 3 weeks is...if my grieving isn't moving along

fast enough for you, that's your problem!! Not mine, I am still healing.

Don't know what I would have done without all of you.

Michele

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I'm sorry for your loss, Michele.  I know grief never goes away, it just gets easier to live with over time.  After a while, I find myself remembering the good times more often than the bad.  I hope you can find that kind of healing as time goes by.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more