Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

2nd respite stay scheduled

French
French Member Posts: 445
100 Comments Second Anniversary

It’s booked.

Perhaps you remember when I told you about the nursing home in Tunisia (room in an hotel with a full time caregiver, lot of activities and all the medical staff). I called, get more information, discussed it with my partner’s children and decided to plan a trial in September

September 23th we will fly to Tunisia (a 2 1/2 hours flight). I will stay 4 days, he will stay 1 month. I will go again October 20th for 2 days before coming back with him. We will see how it is. 1 month at the seaside, I hope it will be like holidays for him. 

For the moment Tunisia is struggling with COVID. And traveling there is difficult. I hope it will be finished.

I am waiting for another respite stay in a MC here, perhaps in November, they can’t tell me when they will have availability. And it will only be 1 or 2 weeks. 

After these 2 or 3 trials, I will decide, depending on availability and our ranking of the solution, where I will ask for a long term placement. The daycare director told me that daycare activities are less and less adapted and that we will have to stop it in few months. 

Comments

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Good for you, planning ahead and taking care of yourself!  I hope it all works out well and that you are able to make an informed decision and one that will come to fruition.  I am envious that you have such interesting options for Memory Care to choose from.  Best of luck.  Keep us posted.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Good for you! I'm impressed with your ability to plan anything - I seem stuck like a deer in the headlights.
    The place in Tunisia sounds so interesting. I wish something like that was closer for my DH to enjoy respite there. It does sound like a vacation.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    The Tunisia place looks wonderful on the web site you posted.  I would go there to live if my circumstances permitted.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Glad to hear that you are getting things done before it becomes a crisis placement. I hope things work out well for you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more