Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

File power of attorney and advanced medical directive

sunshine5
sunshine5 Member Posts: 148
Second Anniversary 10 Comments

Just finished having the documents notarized, drawn by the attorney. DH has memory issues, still waiting on neuropsychological testing results.

Where should  file the papers? I am the spouse who has the authority.

In the process of looking for a geriatric pcp in Inova in Virginia. For DH. 

Once decided, I will hand over a copy of advanced medical  directive to the doctor.

Should the POA be filed with the will documents?

Thanks 

Comments

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

I am ASSUMING you are Virginia but asking such a legal question without putting the relevant state in your profile is  absolutely completely totally useless

I believe I have made 983 requests that people put their state in their profile  

Sorry it just gets to me

Welcome to the Commonwealth of Virginia Advance Health Care Directive Registry. Use this secure tool to store important documents that protect your legal rights and ensure your medical wishes are honored if you are incapacitated and unable to manage your own care.

This secure registry allows Virginia residents to store their Virginia Advance Health Care Directive, Durable Do Not Resuscitate, Health Care Power of Attorney, Financial Power of Attorney, and other documents so that medical providers, emergency responders, family members, and anyone else they grant access will honor their wishes.

The database of Virginia Advance Health Care Directives at this website is held in a confidential and secure site, protected by the most up-to-date web and database security standards. All information submitted will be used only by authorized individuals and will be kept completely confidential. This information will not be shared or sold.

https://connectvirginia.org/adr/

• sunshine5
    sunshine5 Member Posts: 148
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

Thanks crushed 

Yes I am in Virginia 

I did add va in my profile.

Thanks again 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    sunshine5 wrote:

I did add va in my profile.

It doesn't show up. Might want to try again.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    I don't see it either
  • loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Crushed,

Thank you for the info regarding filing of critical docs...in Virginia.

I looked where to edit my profile to add my state and didn't see a specific place, so I added it to the "my story" section.  

I went back in by clicking on my screen name on the message and didn't see it either.  

Went to edit profile again and saw that I did have my location and the location of LO listed.  Finally found that on the Privacy tab, I had not allowed that info to be seen by others!  Finally fixed I think!

Thanks again for your help.

• towhee
    towhee Member Posts: 471
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    It is usually not advised to put all your copies in the lockbox at the bank. A small fireproof safe at home is a good place. One poster kept a notarized copy of the Health Care Power of Attorney in her car, in case of emergency medical visits. For your DPOA register it with your banks and financial companies as soon as possible, as sometimes they want their own version and will not accept yours.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more