Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

he didn't recognize our wedding picture

caberr
caberr Member Posts: 211
Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
My mom passed away 2 weeks ago.  We were at her house in NJ and I found some snapshots of our wedding.  When we got home I showed them to my husband and he didn't know who those people were.  He thought I was a friend of mine that we didn't know in 1971.  I was really surprised he didn't recognize me or himself. Feeling a little sad losing my mom and him not  knowing us in the picture. 

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Caberr, I'm sorry for your loss. And I'm sorry you had to have more to add to your grieving. Keep posting. It might help a little just to do that.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    So very sorry Caberr. And I know how losing the personal history stings. It's happening here too, all over the place.
  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    Caberr, i’m so sorry about your mother. I know how hard it is to lose your mom. And it was doubly hard with your husband  not recognizing your wedding picture.  Sending hugs. Please keep posting and let us know how you’re doing.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes
    I am regularly surprised, disappointed or depressed (depending on the day) at suggestions we occupy our LOs with old photos. My DH lost any ability to identify, and all interest, in photos of us, family, places etc., very early. I know some can do it longer, but not everybody. It’s a sad loss.
  • caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments

Thanks everyone.  It has been a hard long 2 weeks and I miss my mom.  She was a phone call away and helped me when I was feeling lost, angry, confused and everything else this disease throws at you.  She always made me feel better. I am going to miss that support. 

This morning my husband got up and saw the pictures on the table.  He did recognize them and was crying because he said we were happy.  I'm grateful he knew today but also know that tomorrow may be different. 

Thank you for being here.  

• Mimi-Lin
    Mimi-Lin Member Posts: 1
    Seventh Anniversary First Comment

I'm sorry about your mom. I lost mine 5 years ago. I feel like I've never been able to grieve the way I should because my attention is always focused on my husband. 

As for the photos - Mine enjoys looking at old photos of family and of things we have done together. With us, I use it as a tool to help remind him of our past together. He's forgotten so much of the things we've done and places we've been. He forgets it again later, but it brings it back to him at least for the moment and I settle for that for now while I can. He only remembers pieces of our wedding, which was 21 years ago. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more