Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Taking Medical Trip 5hrs away

2»

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Wilted, I'm sorry but your plan for one of his kids to "fly down" IF you get admitted sounds really insufficient. What about the intervening time? How long could that potentially take?  You cant babysit him while trying to be admitted and you cant expect the hospital or hotel to.  And he absolutely doesn't sound safe in a hotel by himself.  You're setting yourself up for disaster. Please reconsider.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Murphy's Law says anything that can go wrong will go wrong, at the worst possible moment.  In your shoes, I would act as if I will be admitted to hospital and arrange for my LO to visit his daughter instead of accompanying me.  I advise this for his benefit and yours.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Wilted 

My mother is mild to moderate dementia. I know what that’s like,  I know how other posters describe living with a person with moderate to severe dementia. I read what you wrote your partner did during a bad week, 

Your partner should not have access to a stove  or a lot of other things,  your partner  is no longer capable of giving consent.  Asking someone with severe dementia  for their opinion or consent isn’t being dignified .,,. It’s putting them in control of things that they no  longer have the capacity to choose safely.  

You obviously do not want to be the decision maker. So give up deciding and turn his care over to his children. Who need to be brought up to date on the facts of life.  Exactly when will the flight his daughter chooses be once you are  admitted?  The next day or  the day after?

• Wilted
    Wilted Member Posts: 82
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    We've arranged it so that, if I have to be admitted, one of his kids will be with him before I go in.
  • JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    I hope all went well on your trip. Can you provide an update?
  • Wilted
    Will do.
  • Wilted
    The trip could not have gone better!

We started out packing 4 dogs and their paraphernalia into the car, with our luggage, and taking them to a kennel before heading out of town. It was a bit intense, almost like herding cats! He handled it all like he did it every day. 

My biggest concern was his wait in the waiting room during my tests. He is quite the extrovert and makes friends everywhere he goes. Making people smile is second nature to him. The nurse who took me back told me not to worry, that he'd be fine, and the nurse was right.
    My test went unexpectedly well. My second test was canceled and I was sent home early. We picked the dogs & their belongings up on the way home. We're both beat, but in good spirits. 
    The whole trip went without a hitch.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Thank you for letting us know! I’m glad everything went well. Good for you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more