Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Grateful for the kindness of a stranger

LadyTexan
LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Today was a stressful day. I put our car in the shop this morning. I expected we'd have a telehealth appointment afterwards. The appointment was cancelled by the doctor's office, although I was not informed. The big stressor was a dental appointment for both me and DH in the next county. Neither of us had been to the dentist in over a year. The year long delay was due to our relocation and the availability of the dentist that has experience with dementia patients.

• Just getting DH dressed and to an appointment was no small feat. 
  • We were out of town in an unfamiliar car.
  • The dentist's panoramic imaging machine confused DH. 
  • DH's teeth are a mess for many reasons, including bone loss in his jaw.

We were at the appointment a long time because we were both seen. I was eager to get home and I was exhausted. After we left the office, I couldn't get DH into the suburban I borrowed while our car is in the shop. Argh! 

THEN this young woman pulls into the parking space next to us. She must have noticed the exasperation on my face. She says "can I help? I am a therapist." I swear, she might as well have been wearing a super hero cape. She quickly and with great care and kindness got DH into his seat in the car. 

I am so grateful for the kindness of this young woman. And yes, I told her so.

The kindness of strangers is a special kind of wonderful that refreshes my soul. Blessings to all.

Comments

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    LT, Thank you for sharing this story about the young super hero, it renews my faith in humanity. Today, I took DW for a short walk along the waterfronts, when we got back to the car it took about 10 minutes for me to explain to DW how to get into the car so I can identify with your situation.
  • Mgsr04
    Mgsr04 Member Posts: 7
    Ninth Anniversary First Comment

Dentist and periodontist visits for dear wife were some of the most stressful appointments, and I dreaded them. X-rays were next to impossible, especially the 360-degree view that never turned out right because she wasn't able to follow instructions or hold still. We were once sent to a dental surgeon for a complicated extraction, and it felt like leading a lamb to slaughter when walking her into the building. She had no idea what was going to happen and there was no way to make it register when trying to tell her. It was heartbreaking.

I, too, found that most strangers were overwhelmingly kind and helpful when we were struggling with something in public and they understood our situation or dilemma. There is still goodness in the world.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I believe in angels.

This young woman qualifies in my book!

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    I had to take my mom to the drivers’ license bureau this spring. Her out of state DL was expiring and we needed an ID to replace it. Since her DL was out of state, we had to actually be there in person.  There was help from every direction. Due to virus restrictions, most people had to wait outside to limit the number inside. Mom and I were both vaccinated.  Other patrons directed her to a bench while I did the standing in line.  Once inside, the staff did their best to keep her seated while I stood in line.  When speaking to her they were calm and kind. We had a little hiccup with her address. Her mail comes to me and I had documents for that, but she actually lives in an ASL.  They took care of it for me.  I get a little annoyed when people cuss about the staff at the drivers’ licensed facilities. They work hard dealing with unruly customers. The day we were there a person who had definitely imbibed many alcoholic beverages that day was also there and left by ambulance.
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My neighbours understand about my husband.

One in particular really gets it and he helped my husband prune our tree in front of our house.

He told me that he understands and if I need help just come and get him. 

My brother in law whose wife had the same dementia that her brother, my husband has now. He phones me from time to time to commiserate with me. I am very grateful for the help and understanding.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    So glad she was in the right place at the right time LT! We did the dual dental appointments thing in the spring and I'll never do it again, for sure. Not even sure I'll take her back for any more routine cleanings. Still to be determined, but it was not easy. Hope tomorrow is an easier day.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    LT, I’m so glad you experienced an Angel today!
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,673
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Thank you for sharing
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

best recent kindness of stranger story.   Took DW to the dentist.  Parking lot was very crowded since they were doing pavement construction. I had to go the long way around.  A construction worker saw a delivery truck heading straight for the only handicapped parking space.  He must have seen our handicap hangtag because he walked over and  stood in the space  and glared at the delivery driver till the driver gave up and then he smiled and waved us into the space.  

Sometimes angels come with bulging muscles and a steely glare  

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    It really gives you a different outlook on life when you experience things like that. My wife rarely goes off our property anymore, but if we have to go someplace, I'm always holding onto her when walking because she is not stable. When it comes to the point where we have to go through a doorway. it seems someone is always there to hold the door for us.
  • Jude4037
    Jude4037 Member Posts: 39
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    My husband has a difficult walking from room to room now but last fall we were walking a mile at a  lake front park regularly. One day as we were almost to the midpoint I noticed him weaving and said let’s head back to the car. We hadn’t gone too much farther and he grabbed a post and said he wanted sit down. I knew if he went down to the ground I’d never be able to get him back up. Just then  a mother and daughter was about to us I asked if they could help me get him to a bench that wasn’t too far. With someone on each side I knew he could make it. They took him and stayed with him till I returned with the car. I was so thankful. We went to that park often after that but I never got far from the area that had the benches. And now I’m not sure I could get him in or out of the car alone. I’ve experiences many moments of kindness from strangers while we out walking at the park. And it’s a high point to any day.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more