Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Using a water flosser for dental hygiene

LadyTexan
LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Yesterday DH and I went to the dentist for the first time in over a year. DH's teeth are a mess for many reasons such as: 

• bone loss in the jaw,
  • head trauma from his adventurous escapades, 
  • a lifetime of smoking, and 
  • neglect. 
The dentist recommended deep cleaning. Its an intense procedure that will require numbing DH's mouth.

The dentist stated that using a water flosser, such as a Waterpik, may help cleaning DH's mouth, teeth and gums. As a result, the deep cleaning will likely be less intense. She is aware that DH has Alzheimers and that I would be operating the water flosser for DH.

I was optimistic until I remembered using a Waterpik in the '80's as a teen when I had braces. I wonder, how can we use the water flosser effectively, since I will be operating it, in DH's mouth, for DH. I imagine it will be a messy routine.

Currently, his daily dental routine is me putting toothpaste on the electronic toothbrush, placing the toothbrush in his mouth, wrapping his hand around the toothbrush and then turning it on. I then prompt him to brush all of his teeth and spit. We follow up with the Closys oral rinse and spit. Toothbrushing happens for DH once per day.

I am beyond the expectation that DH will have healthy teeth and gums. I want DH's teeth to last him the rest of his life with minimal problems and no discomfort.

The water flossers range in price from $60 to $100 and up.

My questions:

1. What are your thoughts?
  2. Is the water flosser worth a try?
  3. Should I save the money for whatever else this journey requires?
  4. Have you used a water flosser on your PWD? If so, what was your experience?
Thank you for your input.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    LT, I use one myself and it's messy even for me! I think you would end up with water everywhere.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Lady T-

It seems like it's always some extra expense for something that probably will not be easily accepted. I suspect the dentist "knows he has dementia" but doesn't really understand all that that implies in terms of what is being asked of you.

If you do go this route, I would suggest getting the hand held unit. I spent a little extra for the rechargeable model for DH rather than the one that takes batteries that would need replacing. If you don't think it'll be accepted, I'd go with the $39.99 at Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon. 

If you can get him to shower, it might make sense for him to use a handheld there where the mess wouldn't matter. He might even be able to handle it himself with some hands-on direction. 

My dad's self-hygiene really tanked with the disease progression; previously he'd been meticulous. Showers, toothbrushing and shaving became a battle. One thing he would do, however, was pick at his teeth with Plackers floss sticks. 

Good luck with this.

HB
  • Rosi's Mom
    Rosi's Mom Member Posts: 11
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments

Lady Texan, I bought an inexpensive portable water flosser for my husband, It came with several interchangeable tips. I use one with a soft pointed rubber tip. I point it between 2 teeth at a time. We stand in front of the sink with him holding a washcloth. I do one area at a time so he can spit into the sink and wipe his mouth. It takes a while, but I see many small food pieces in sink. His big problem was food empacked between teeth. He follows with brushing.

So far it is working for us. Not messy.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I gave up on dental visits for DH.  He can’t process what he’s told to do and becomes agitated.  Luckily, he has strong teeth and fresh breath.  I brush his teeth twice a day with an electric toothbrush (usually only the outside of his teeth- - he can’t figure out “open your mouth”).  I give him cut up apple every day with lunch and hope for the best!  I thought about a Waterpik for my own dental hygiene, but figured it would probably be a sloppy mess.  Good luck. (You are to be commended for the extraordinary amount of time and effort you devote to your DH’s care!  Talk about a 36 hour day!)
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

We tried a water pik for a while…but what HB says is so true IME. You can tell dentists, eye docs, etc. “he has Alzheimer’s” or any dementia, and they will say yes, they know—but they don’t really understand or realize what it means with functioning. They think it’s like their grandma used to mix up names.

Our dentist also advised using a water flossed or water pik. But after hearing more about the problems DH had using it, she said it could be dropped from his routine, just make sure he brushed well and regularly, and do whatever else could be done.

In other words, it was ideal to use the pik, but it wasn’t essential and he could have good healthy teeth without it.

Just as an aside, I got a very new design/style electric toothbrush a few months ago, and my hygienist (different from DH dentist) said very recently the results were so good she didn’t think I needed to worry much about using the water pik at all. Surprised me b/c she was so big on water picks before. But I actually like using it. DH just couldn’t understand it.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Rescue Mom, tell us about this new toothbrush. Inquiring minds want to know!

Diane

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Lady Texan,

My dh had deep cleaning done a couple of years ago. I would think, given your dh's condition, it should be done under general "relaxation," if not anesthesia. I can't imagine the man you describe tolerating that with just local anesthetic. Also, my dh was hurting for days afterward, so you might have issues requiring meds/change in routine for most of a week at least. How desperate is the situation?

Diane

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

lol sandwich…it’s an Oral B but I’d have to check more on which model. It has a round head, which is not so new, but I think the “newer” part is how it automatically brushes in several different directions. 

It is pricier than others, but I’ve always had really bad plaque, lost 3 teeth and had implants. The implants procedure itself did not hurt (drugs!) but the process was a pain in the rear, took months, recovery uncomfortable, and definitely hurt my bank account. Paying a little more for a toothbrush is well worth it, in my book. With new brush, no special plaque removal needed for the first time in decades.

my DH with Alzheimer’s could *never* go through that process, nor could he manage dentures. And I sure don’t want to have to purée food. So like LT I want his teeth to stay good. So far, so good.

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I think it will be very messy but you can always use it for yourself.

• Lane Simonian
    Lane Simonian Member Posts: 348
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    I may have missed this in the suggestions above, but there is a toothbrush where you can change to a water flosser by hitting a button (the water spurts out of the tooth brush).  It is expensive (about a $140 dollars) and requires switching back and forth by hitting buttons.  It does seem to reduce plaque buidlup and it directs the water better between the teeth.
  • LadyTexan

DH and I both have been using the Oral B Genius. It is very pricey but an EXCELLENT toothbrush. We received it as a gift from my cousin. It is easy and has made a difference in my teeth (based on yesterday's appointment). It works very well for us.

Prior to the Oral B, I was using the Sonic Care electric toothbrush. It took me a while to get used to the Oral B, but now I am a big fan.

For the record - I am not affiliated with Oral B or Proctor and Gamble in any way. My experience with their product has been good.

• JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments
    Yes, a typical water flosser can be very messy if your spouse isn't fully compliant.  Perhaps a water flosser intended to be used in the shower would be more helpful?  Look for "Oral Breeze" on Amazon which is an adaption to the shower head.  My family used this when I was a kid.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I use a Water Pik with rechargeable battery and it helps keep my gums intact.  Facing and leaning over the bathtub keeps the spray off the mirror and walls.  It unplugs so I could use it outdoors if I wanted.

I have had deep cleaning and don't recommend it unless the patient has lots of money and a high pain tolerance.

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    DS quit brushing his teeth when he left my house at 18.  He had full dentures by the time he was 30.  Nothing I could do about it.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I was at the dentist yesterday, and talked with him about bringing in DW, who hasn’t been to the dentist for a couple of years now.  DW will, reluctantly, brush her teeth when I put the toothbrush, with toothpaste on it, in her hand.  But she only brushes her bottom teeth.  When I try to get her to brush the top teeth, she can’t seem to understand what I’m asking her to do.

Of course, good dental health is important for PWD’s as well as the rest of us.  (There are theories that poor dental health/dental disease is a contributor to or even a cause of AD.).   Our dentist is fully prepared to deal with my DW’s AD—it was clear in our conversation that he understands and has dealt with the challenges—so I think I’m going to give it a try and bring my DW in.  No idea if she’ll be able to follow even simple directions like “Open.”  But she’ll be none the worse for the effort if it fails.

• LadyTexan
    harshedbuzz wrote:
    It seems like it's always some extra expense for something that probably will not be easily accepted. I suspect the dentist "knows he has dementia" but doesn't really understand all that that implies in terms of what is being asked of you.
    Lady Texan response:
    You are so right about the recommendations of many folks for something that may not seem expensive if considered individually. All the extra expenses add up. It's especially annoying when the product or service is not well accepted. Or does not work for DH. 
    I have been very stressed about our financial situation recently. Of course stressing about it does no good. I have to practice positive self talk to change my thoughts. For example: 
    • We have enough for today. 
    • We have electricity and food and indoor plumbing. 
    • We have our faithful dog. 
    • We have the medicines we need. 
    • We have options for dental care and I have choices about what to do.
    I have a community of caregivers that graciously share their experiences and ideas. I am so grateful for all of you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more