Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Wants to walk

Last week my husband got lost walking. I gave him another chance and he did fine but the third day he got lost within 6 blocks of our house so walking privileges are gone. I decided to walk with him and for the last three days we have done 5 mile walks. Today we got home and I made him lunch and he announced that he was going for a walk. An argument ensued and so far I have won but he has no recollection of going for a walk with me today. I finally said that I would get in trouble with the police if he gets lost again and that the only solution would be for him to move into a locked facility. That seemed to shake him but within 5 minutes he forgot what I said. I have cameras on the outside doors but he could get out and away from me and it would probably result him becoming physical. I planned to have someone come in to be with him when I need to go out but as soon as they leave he will want to walk again. 5 miles a day is my limit so maybe I can break it up into two walks. Has anyone tried CBD with or without THC to keep someone calm and somewhat sedated? He is 81 but has the walking energy and ability of a 40 year old. I expected many things to come along with this disease but not this. Thanks for any hints you might have.

Comments

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I have the opposite problem, getting DW out of her chair.  

In movies about boxing, the boxer runs down the road while the trainer follows on a bicycle or other vehicle, shouting encouragement.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Can you hire someone to walk with him? This would be like Holly walking Arthur on The King of Queens TV show.  

Iris

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    I am going to look for an older man to walk with him and then sit and talk to him or wander around in the garage and talk about motorcycles or? I will make him lunch before I go out. I was thinking about three afternoons a week. The trick is now to find someone.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Getting a guy his age to walk and hang out is a good idea! Do you have a church? My church had a great senior Sunday school class, this was in New Orleans. The men and women of this class were always looking for ways to serve our community. You could try talking to a member from a local church or maybe call your Council on aging for ideas? I’m sending you lots of luck and good wishes!
  • Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Everything I thought would work did not. He tried to leave yesterday saying he enjoys walking alone and doesn’t want to walk with anyone. I tried to reason with him and that failed. I finally told him that if he left and got lost I would be forced by the police to place him in a locked facility. I explained that if he were there all doors to the outside stay locked and that he would hate it. I explained that he had had 21 years of lots of freedom in his retirement but it had come to an end with his memory issues. I explained that the two choices now are walking with me or memory care. He was very subdued. A neighbor happened by at that very moment and that visit diffused the situation. He ended up walking with me and said he enjoyed it. We stopped for a lunch at a farmers market. When we got home he watched TV and as I sensed he might want to walk again I suggested he use the hot tub which he hasn’t used in years and it was a success. He did forget to use a towel and dripped water all thru the house. I can hardly wait for this afternoon because I am sure it will start all over again. It was actually easier to stop him from driving.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more