Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

new low

JDancer
JDancer Member Posts: 451
Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
Yesterday, while cutting my DH's nails, I smelled feces. I've been tearful all day...

Comments

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    I should add, at this time he toilets on his own. Maybe I need to start supervising.
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    JDancer I am very sorry. We’ve been dealing with that here for quite awhile, but you never get used to it. Do you have adult incontinence underwear on him?  It helps. For us it’s not complete protection, but can contain enough stuff to protect most furniture. Is it lack of hygiene or incontinence?  By observation, I think my wife has just forgotten how to pee and poop and just holds it until she can’t anymore. I won’t bore you with the details, but vigilance is the key.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

JDancer,

24/7/365 constant surveillance is the only way my DH remains”continent”.  It’s tiring, but it’s working for now.  He is always clean and fresh because I am on scene for every toilet visit and every other evening, he showers, but I always wash carefully “down there”.  Depends are counterproductive at this point, because he seems to know he has to go, just not where or what to do once there.  Left to his own devices, he would take down the Depends and urinate and/ or defecate wherever he happens to be.  (This has happened once or twice when I let my guard down).  Recently, there have been several times when I’ve gotten him to the toilet, but before he can get settled (seated), he will start to urinate and I “catch” it.  I am thinking this may a precursor to incontinence, losing the ability to hold his urine.  Sorry you are going through this. One more (big) bump in the road.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more