Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

covid and cognitive decline

M1
M1 Member Posts: 6,715
1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Early and small research presented at Alz Assn meeting in Denver was reported this morning in the Washington Post.  Bottom line is it's very worrisome, and the severity of covid disease doesn't correlate with risk, but loss of smell might.  Lots more work yet to be done on long-term consequences in both young and old.

Despite multiple coachings I can never get a live link active on this site..... it's https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/dementia-alzheimers-covid-research:link/2021/07/29/bccef096-f07d-11eb-a452-4da5fe48582d story.html

Comments

• M1
    Thanks Ed and good point, it might be!  A subscription was my gift to myself last year.....
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    We have to hope for the best. One of our daughters has lingering effects from caronavirus. She's only 49, so maybe she'll be ok.
  • Ed1937
    M1 wrote:
    Thanks Ed and good point, it might be!  A subscription was my gift to myself last year.....

Apparently no paywall for that article. I don't have a subscription, but I got in.

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

Just a couple side notes….sometimes—not always—I can get to a paywalled article by going through Google. Many COVID stories in MSM have been free “in the interest of public health” but as things got better a few months ago, walls went back up. Now that COVID is bad again, I wonder if they’ll free up again.

M1 I have never been able to link here successfully, despite much coaching, and able to elsewhere. Not sure if my device, settings, or more likely operator error.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I live in Illinois. Our state public health department went to weekly case count reporting a couple months ago. 

July 16 4,449 cases for the week 

July 30 11,682 cases for the week. 

I’ve know multiple people who have tested positive in the last two weeks. 

In the past 28 days, a supportive living facility in our county reported 22 resident and 6 staff cases. 99% of the residents had been vaccinated, not nearly that percentage of staff has been vaccinated. Now who do you think exposed the residents? 

The country’s number of dementia cases are already set to explode over the next several years just due to the number of elderly people increasing as the baby boomers age. Now Covid can be a precurser too. 

I totally agree with the concern about losing the sense of smell.  My mom’s brain injury in 2013  caused her to lose her senses of taste, smell and She had to use a walker.  All for about 18 months.  And here she is now with dementia. She’s also been using the walker since October 2019 too. 

• M1
    I remember about your daughter, Ed.  She'd be a good candidate for long-term studies, if there's a research site anywhere in her vicinity.
  • Ed1937
    M1 wrote:
    I remember about your daughter, Ed.  She'd be a good candidate for long-term studies, if there's a research site anywhere in her vicinity.

One of her two daughters was found to be positive yesterday. She was supposed to be vaccinated today. Our daughter also got tested, and even though she has had it before, and had both vaccine shots, she tested negative, but the doctor said she thought she was actually positive because of symptoms she is having now. G-daughter is 15, and has several other girls she is friends with. Two of them just tested positive too. This stuff seems to run like wildfire.

• M1
    Indeed. Unfortunately it's looking like vaccination (at least as we are currently doing it) may not protect against infection as much as we would like, but it does still look pretty darn effective against severe disease. Similar to flu vaccines. But we are back to masking and isolation just as much as we did last year pre vaccination.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    They said on the news tonight that Covid Delta is as contagious as the common cold.  Even those of us who are vaxed can be carriers without becoming ill.  Spreads like wildfire indeed.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more