Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

FTD and seizures

I wonder if anyone has information regarding the development of seizures in FTD patients.
My husband was diagnosed with FTD in 2016; he is 70 years old, physically healthy with the exception of dementia; he has no history of any type of seizures.  While riding in an air conditioned car recently, he became suddenly nauseated, began sweating profusely and passed out, which he has never done in the 43+ years I've known him.  His eyes rolled back in his head, his head tilted to the left, and I was unable to detect any breathing.  I was unable to revive him or get any response at all for about a minute. I thought he was dead.

The determination at the hospital after numerous tests, observation in telemetry overnight, was Vasovagal Syncope, yet he experienced none of the triggers.  I've read a little about a correlation in FTD patients and the development of seizures and hoped someone could enlighten/advise me.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi SL, it does sound like vasovagal syncope to me too. Nausea (or even spasm of the colon, which there is no way to detect) can be a trigger, so your story is consistent. A lot of people who faint will have brief spells that appear similar to seizures, but a true seizure is more likely to cause urinary incontinence and a long period of sleepiness and confusion afterwards (called the postictal state). So if he came back to consciousness pretty quickly, that's reassuring.

That said, a couple of posters here have definitely had their LOs develop seizures-aod's husband for sure, I recall that seizures were his first symptom of a very rapid and vicious EO case. So you never say never. 

• CS 63
    CS 63 Member Posts: 32
    10 Comments First Anniversary

My HWD, 56 years old, has been diagnosed with FTD and EOAD.  He has had 2 seizures similar to what you have described.  The first was in 2019 on our first night at a resort in Jamaica.  We were waiting in line for a restaurant on our first night there.  He said he didn't feel well all of a sudden and things progressed til he passed out.  Luckily he came around in the nurses station, all vitals returned to normal and he was fine but worried the rest of the week, so did I!  The second happened just over a year after the first, we were sitting in our kitchen and it was exactly the same scenario as the first.  We went to the ER and all tests came back normal once his BP and pulse went back up. He hasn't had another since and there was no explanation as to why it happened.

This past May he started having actual seizures, he had 8 in 2 weeks, the last resulted in another trip to the ER where they started him on seizure meds, he hasn't had one since.   His were focal onset seizures, he was awake and aware but slow to respond and his arms would flap.  We have an MRI scheduled for Aug 12, maybe it will pinpoint the cause of the seizures.  My guess it's just a result of further brain damage due to dementia.

Hope you get some answers!

• Caring4two
    Caring4two Member Posts: 33
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Comments

Yes, seizures can be a complication of FTD. I started making videos of them with my phone to show to the doctor. They were very random. I’d just have to put him to bed and ride it out. His were primarily “belly seizures”. His whole abdomen would shimmy and shake and he seemed to lose consciousness. He could tell when they were about to happen. He’d clutch his chest and seek a place to lie down. He’s been gone for 4 years now but I still have those videos on my phone. 

The neurologist started him on Depakote sprinkles and that helped.

• Lills
    Lills Member Posts: 156
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions

My DH has FTD (and ALS).  He's also had vasovagal syncope his entire life.  Any significant stress or pain can trigger this.  (When we were newly married, we had our first fight.  I raised my voice AND HE FAINTED! Try to live that one down!)

A few weeks ago, DH had an episode.  Again, I am very used to him fainting, but this time, it seemed different.  He, too, was sweating profusely, became nauseated (vomited a huge amount) and was totally unresponsive. I thought he was having a stroke--and also thought he was dying. So frightening!  

Hospice came and said it was most likely his vasovagal.  Still don't know what triggered it though.  

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more