Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hello, I am sadly now part of this group

Hello, my DW has been diagnosed with EO at 61 and, by recent testing, she sadly appears to be advanced beyond ES in some areas.  She, we, were under a great deal of stress so her doctors focused on that as the cause of memory/speech issues until the continued deterioration made it obvious more was happening.

We just told our Adult children yesterday and are now preparing for what is ahead.  At this point she does not want any friends to be made aware, although many have noticed her speech and memory issues but also believe caused by stress.  

Thanks the candid and personal comments posted in this, and other, forums as they have been  very useful and provided insight into the future.  It is very comforting to have people willing to share on these forums to assist in these unchartered waters for us, me, but certainly wish none of us were posting here.

Thank you in advance for your support!

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Hi Max. Welcome to the forum, but as you said, I wish none of us needed it. But since we do, it is really a good thing for us. There is a lot of experience here, and everyone is willing to share.

Has she applied for social security disability? If not, that's something you need to get done. And you'll want to see a CELA (certified elder law attorney) ASAP.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Welcome

My lovely brilliant wife was MCI at 58 and Alzheimer's at 60  If your wife  is eligible go for Social security disability right now.  do not wait and use a good lawyer who can possible  get it backdated as needed.  Get all legal documents in order.  Then plan and then throw the plan away.  for most folks medicaid is critical to survival.   We have all beengthere and we are here for you   Fillin your profile includdng states and kids and ages etc.

POST WAR IMPERIAL GERMAN WW1 BLUE MAX POUR LE MERITE NECK ORDER

• BlueMax
    BlueMax Member Posts: 5
    First Comment First Anniversary

Thank you for the advice on Social Security benefits and I will check into this.  She exhibited symptoms at 59 but the doctors thought it was stress related.  

With COVID we recently redid our estate plans and have spoken with our attorney's about the situation. 

And thanks for the Blue Max medal picture, brought a needed smile!!

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi ....

Welcome to the journey we are either on or who have been on and are now in stage 8.

Here you will find not only support but really good information. 

All topics are air game and all questions worthy!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Max.  My partner is also very sensitive about friends and family "knowing," but frankly, at now an early stage 5, it's more obvious to everyone than she realizes.  YOU may need the support of other people knowing, however; time will tell.  I spend a fair amount of time having to go discretely behind her back to have discussions that she's not aware of.

I would encourage you to get your kids to look at this site as well, they may find it helpful.

I'm sorry for your need to be here, but I promise you (coming up on having been here for a year), this forum is a lifesaver.  It will help you get through it and help keep you sane in the process.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more