Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Like the old days

I was giving the kitchen a deep clean and boxed up some stuff that I just don’t use. I put it outside on the curb for the neighbours to go through. My husband was sitting on the porch while this was going on.

He suddenly came in and told me some gentleman had fallen while examining the contents of the box. At first I couldn’t believe what he was telling me but he insisted. Well, he was right. An overly refreshed gentleman was clutching a brass bell and asking us for help to stand up. Jon, my husband and I helped him up and we walked him down to the senior’s residence down the street. He was so caring and kind just like before he got dementia. 

Afterwards I explained that the man was drunk, Jon was incensed, calling himself a sucker and vowing not to sit back on the porch. I told him just because someone is drunk, it doesn’t mean he or she does not deserve to be denied help. We laughed about it, then it was like a switch turned off and he didn’t remember anything. 

Sometimes it is more painful when he has lucid moments because it reminds me so much of what I have lost. It was sweet and I was grateful, even though bittersweet.

Comments

• Cobalt
    Cobalt Member Posts: 78
    10 Comments Second Anniversary

Quite a story and a fun moment through a bit of a scare, right? I imagine we will have similar stories down the line as things progress.  (Isn't "progress" a strange term when used with Alzheimer's?  I guess it's better than saying "deteriorate".)

Thanks for sharing this for a laugh and understanding.

• DorisEmma
    DorisEmma Member Posts: 36
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments

Buggsroo, thanks for sharing.  I am glad you had that moment with your husband, even if short.  

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more