Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Coconut oil and mct oil

I recently learnt that coconut oil added to food -2 tablespoons daily helps with Alzheimer’s. Mct oil helps with Alzheimer’s and seizures. That’s wonderful news! I plan to try it on my DH whose daily activities with memory are gradually getting worse. I will get  his heart dr ok too before proceeding.

What do u think caregivers? Worth a try? Probably no side effects and definitely cheaper than drugs! 

Neurologist still reluctant to prescribe Aduhelm to DH, only drug approved by fda!

Comments

• 1962ART
    1962ART Member Posts: 32
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    I don't know where you learned this, but check with your PCP.  A registered dietician is also a good resource.
  • loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

In your profile you indicated that LO doc had prescribed Aircept but that you did not want to give it since seizures is a potential side effect.  The site I look up listed a lot of potential side effects from common to rare, but seizures was only mentioned if there was an overdose situation.

Definitely consult LO's doc regarding your concerns about Aircept and also about using these oils.  Even those things from nature might have negative impact with certain meds.

• towhee
    towhee Member Posts: 472
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    Coconut oil was sort of a fad a few years back, I don't hear much about it any more.
  • Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I take coconut oil in the capsule form and I think it may help a little along with everthing else I take .

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes
    Coconut oil can have some general health benefits, but if it helped with dementias’ issues, I think everyone here and elsewhere would be using gallons of it. Checking with his heart doctor is a good idea, especially regarding cholesterol levels. Mayo Clinic says it can raise both good and bad cholesterol (how much of a concern that might be with Alzheimer’s is another matter).
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Ill be polite  You did not "learn" it you "heard"  it from a person who has no clue 

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/treatments/alternative-therapies/coconut-oil-and-dementia

https://www.alz.org/blog/alz/may_2012/can_coconut_oil_treat_alzheimers

There are no clinical or observational studies that have specifically assessed the effects of coconut oil on the incidence of Alzheimer’s disease. The handful of basic science papers that have examined the effects of coconut oil have looked at the effect of medium-chain fatty acids on biomarkers associated with Alzheimer’s disease. Far greater research has been documented demonstrating a link between high levels of saturated fats and cardiovascular risk. Increased plasma cholesterol and high blood pressure are considered risk factors for Alzheimer’s. While any changes to the diet should be discussed with an individual’s primary care physician, the current scientific literature suggests that no human studies have assessed the potential preventative or therapeutic effects of coconut oil intake on Alzheimer’s disease.

https://curealz.org/news-and-events/myth-busting-why-coconut-oil-is-not-a-cure-for-alzheimers-disease/ 

• Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    When I finally accepted that my husband is in a slow-but-steady decline because he has an incurable disease, I found peace. There will always be those with baseless claims, people who play upon our wanting some bit of hope to hold on to. Some day there will be real help for people suffering from dementia. Meanwhile, we caregivers try to do the best we can under very unfavorable conditions.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more